Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this current job where the previous HO had one of these 2 national company's over here to do a remodel on a bathroom. There were clearly some serious issues with everything from leaks, to structural issue yet they just covered them right over. Pretty disgusting. I don't end up on many jobs where these company's have done work but I have heard a lot of horror stories from a few trades about their quality of work. This proves them pretty much right.

Here's a quick run down

Completely rotted out joists and sub floor. When I mean rotted I mean you could poke a screw driver through 7" of the 8"

3 layers of subfloor put down. Of which each sheet had no more than 4 nails

Register end that had been removed but not connected back to the main 6" duct

Some serious issues with wiring which they added to then covered up

No sub floor under the bath

image-3854543140.jpg

image-2486291993.jpg

image-4148700701.jpg

image-785484723.jpg

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% sure which company it was but there's only a couple in this area that do them 1 day baths and yes expensive it is. $5800 for a tub replacement, linoleum, plastic surround that looks like fake tile and new shower valve. They must have made a killing as I'm not seeing anymore than $600 worth of materials here at worst and $5 worth of installation lol

·
Registered
732 Posts
My neighbor hired one of these guys to do his bathroom after I gave him a number. I watched in horror as the installer of the shower doors cut the aluminum track with a framing blade on a circ saw and then carried it out to the street and dragged it along the pavement to remove the burrs.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
My neighbor hired one of these guys to do his bathroom after I gave him a number. I watched in horror as the installer of the shower doors cut the aluminum track with a framing blade on a circ saw and then carried it out to the street and dragged it along the pavement to remove the burrs.
Now that's what I call high quality!

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
A framing blade works great for that, circular saw, not so much. :blink:

However, I prefer a river rock to knock my burrs down. :laughing: Only a hack would use the street.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,260 Posts
tccoggs said:
Has a de-burring tool on every job, genius. :laughing:

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
:blink::blink::laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,260 Posts
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
Sure beats carrying and carting around one of those gd-heavy and cumbersone file things.... Wonder what he uses with 3 feet of snow on the ground?
The work is seasonal.

·
90%-er
1,412 Posts
Catch me at the right time of year (I. E. Dead of winter), and I'll probably put you in a real tub with actual tile (real thinset and all!) for way less than these guys are charging to cover crap up. It's incredible what people are paying to have this stuff done. How does someone sell this stuff in good conscience?

I gotta get me a franchise of one of these hack jobs!

·
Registered
667 Posts
IF it is the company that I have in mind, they just closed like 3 places/stores, in the area, with a auction, about 2-3 months ago here!
BUT the TV commercials are still here!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
:QUOTE=tccoggs;1870179]My neighbor hired one of these guys to do his bathroom after I gave him a number. I watched in horror as the installer of the shower doors cut the aluminum track with a framing blade on a circ saw and then carried it out to the street and dragged it along the pavement to remove the burrs.[/QUOTE]

:eek: WTF can you say to crap like that, I need to charge more.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Catch me at the right time of year (I. E. Dead of winter), and I'll probably put you in a real tub with actual tile (real thinset and all!) for way less than these guys are charging to cover crap up. It's incredible what people are paying to have this stuff done. How does someone sell this stuff in good conscience?

I gotta get me a franchise of one of these hack jobs!
I often assist my wife's RE clients (and friends or the lady down the street that lost her husband at 55) when they are shopping/contracting various work (might be roofing, might be windows, might be kitchen/granite, might be insurance claims/repair).

And my general style is too be there as a friend and dressed overly nicely.... keep my mouth shut and listen to them... and then "country boy-off-the-turn-up truck" start asking some questions.

And to the unknowledgeable, these hacks sales pitch can be quite polished and quazi impressive.... all nice, with seemingly good answers, and incentives to act immediately....

not much different than polished car sales or many financial services...

Sometimes I think the honest contractor/tradesman doesn't have a chance against/with a polished salesforce coupled with an unknowledgeable buyer....

Best

1 - 15 of 15 Posts