Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a simple question. I am new to this craft. I'd like to remove the return on the left and run a piece on the angled part over the door. How do I turn the outside corner on the left? How do I cut the cope on the right?
Building Door Wood Fixture Architecture

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if this is a simple question. I am new to the craft. I'd like to remove the return on the left and run a piece on the angled part over the door. How do I turn the outside corner on the left? How do I cut the cope on the right?
View attachment 521492

·
Radical Basement Dweller
32,919 Posts
I'll get into trouble for answering this (That's my Biden impression) but...
You are going to have to do some research...videos, etc, etc.
I install crown quite often and I'd be making a lot of scrap test cuts before I got to the final angles that work perfectly..

·
Radical Basement Dweller
32,919 Posts
Sorry if this is a simple question. I am new to the craft. I'd like to remove the return on the left and run a piece on the angled part over the door. How do I turn the outside corner on the left? How do I cut the cope on the right?
View attachment 521492
Asking the same question multiple times is only going to piss people off.
I assume you are a homeowner.
There are DIY sites that may be able to help you.
See ya.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Cut scrap crown w/ std 45' rt. hand cope into rt. side wall. Set in place to see how much you meed to pad crown bottom on clipped clg. Pad bottom of crown as needed, & run crown with std 45' cuts. 45' outside cut on left, & coped 45'deg cut on right.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I think I would’ve started in the stairway and make that the new spring angle!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Don' need much of a pad at bottom. Clp clg looks like 45' slope. Crown is 3 3/8 vert to 2 5/8 horiz. I'd guess 3/4" pad at bott would do it. It' not worth the hassle of added dw work.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It looks close to 45. I've seen a lot of older homes run stair slopes over 43 deg. 8.25/9 was legal up to a few years ago. That wil get you to 42.5' or so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You'd need to box out the top of that rake somehow
so there's a vertical surface for the crown,
however the light fixture might be in the way.

·
Hack
3,091 Posts
If we're playing "what if", then I'd check the spring angle of the crown, then rip a piece of s4s stock to act as a nailer along the bottom. Just trying to pack it out so that it becomes a simple outside miter to inside cope.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If we're playing "what if", then I'd check the spring angle of the crown, then rip a piece of s4s stock to act as a nailer along the bottom. Just trying to pack it out so that it becomes a simple outside miter to inside cope.
Evidently can't be done that way. It must be too easy. Rip will be about 48' deg or so.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
i just decided - if this is my project i will make/build out a little soffet or flat/plumb area . then wrap the crown normal like . i see no reason to custom make a matching profile . house is sporting basic paint grade trim .

1 - 20 of 38 Posts