Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the scenario, I have a 4000 sq. ft. home to paint, new construction. The wall and ceiling area comes out to be about 13000 sq. ft. We will be using one shade of tan on half the house and another shade of tan on the other half of the house. The trim work will not be installed until after the spraying is done. We will be able to sray prime the trimwork before it is installed but we will have to go back and apply 2 topcoats of high gloss white to the trim. On the trim there is:
806 linear ft. Baseboard
877 linear ft. Casing
529 linear ft. Crown
22 Interior doors

If you guys can give any insight as how to charge for this please let me know. I appreciate it.:help:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am not a painter. However if you have to come back out make sure you charge extra for the second trip. If I have to pull off a larger job to come back out and do something I could have done while I was there I charge a full daily rate for each day I come back out.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
I came up with $9703.87
But that was with a lot of guessing as to the type of trim and doors, and figuring the layout of the house
W/O seeing it it's really hard to tell, that could be off
But I guess that answers your question
I personally don't think 10K is out of the question

·
Registered
67 Posts
You guys have such a better market than us here in Milwaukee WI. Everytime I see a price on here I'm shocked. If we bid over $4000 on the interior we'd never get the job. To many undercutters, I only wish I was getting what you are for that job.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
dwbrooks said:
You guys have such a better market than us here in Milwaukee WI. Everytime I see a price on here I'm shocked. If we bid over $4000 on the interior we'd never get the job. To many undercutters, I only wish I was getting what you are for that job.
I hear ya, but you probably wouldn't want our cost of living
I went to look at a fixer-upper, edge of town, literally on the wrong side of the RR tracks, and literally under some giant power lines
It was the only house in town for under 200K
And that was before we had a mini boom of real estate here, I'm sure it's over that now

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's the part that bugs me. The question of price is irrelevant. What are your production rates. Our company can do 450sf per hour on commercial sheetrock. Yet another company can only do 350. What are the costs of your operation? I guarantee they are not the same as the company next door. Point being, get a copy o the PDCA production rates as a starting point. Than time yours. You may have to take it in the arm a few times before your production rates are down. Then get a handle on your costs (overhead).
1. Know your costs
2. Control your costs.
3. Know your production
4. Control your production.
5. Find customer base that works for your companies formula.

Electro

·
Registered
206 Posts
CoastalCoatings said:
Do you guys think 10,000 dollars is out of the question?
Not at all. We have had houses under 4000sf where the sub told me it would be than 10k. We said ok because we know they give us a guality job for the money. They have to put food on the table and behappy with what they produce day in and day out. If quality cost more then so be it. We don't settle for second best. Plus if I provide the second best painter in town to my clients what does that make me........... second best.......... no thanks call the next guy. If you provide great quality work then you are worth every penny. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Although these are the prices I'm use to seeing. Your labor rates may be different and of course cost of living. What are you billing out hourly?

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
electro said:
Here's the part that bugs me. The question of price is irrelevant. What are your production rates. Our company can do 450sf per hour on commercial sheetrock. Yet another company can only do 350. What are the costs of your operation? I guarantee they are not the same as the company next door. Point being, get a copy o the PDCA production rates as a starting point. Than time yours. You may have to take it in the arm a few times before your production rates are down. Then get a handle on your costs (overhead).
1. Know your costs
2. Control your costs.
3. Know your production
4. Control your production.
5. Find customer base that works for your companies formula.

Electro
100% agreed. That is exactly how it should be done.
Hopefully this short answer is what people will see in the archives when they ask "how much?"
There is no going rate, only your rate and then you justify it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts