Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though I would post this. It worked well for my situation.

-Dill a 3/8 hole in top and bottom of door slightly offset from center. In my case I just drilled all these over 20". Drill, flip doors, drill.

-Insert a 3/8 solid rod aprox 8-10" long into each hole. This is your pivot point.

-Screw one 5" drywall screw into one corner of either the top or bottom of the door. You will use this to turn the door and stabilize it while carrying.

-Spray one side. Grab drywall screw and pivot door over. Spray other side. Move to safe drying location. Let hang vertically from saw horses for drying.

Pictures will explain the rest.

Advantages of this method:

-You can spray both faces as well as all four edges. Problem with spraying them standing upright is you can't get the bottom. Some manufactures require it to be painted for warranty.

-You can spray all the doors at once with very limited space including limited space for drying.

-Doors can easily be moved to a safe drying location even when all six sides are wet.

-They dry hanging vertically so you don't have to worry about dust settling on a horizontal surface.

Biggest disadvantage is you have to have a helper to carry the doors.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This worked really well because the weather is cold. Spaying inside house was not an option. Spraying in garage was ok but not quite warm enough for quick drying plus more dusty.

The pic of the doors hanging was after the first coat. I spaced them out more with another set of horses for final coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Good idea....

In the summer, on a non windy day, I've just strung a chain from between two big pines, tighted it with a come-along, and hung the doors with 2 J hooks.

Can do that one alone.... but needs space and appropriate conditions... and neighbors that don't mind white grass for awhile.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
So, was this a site job or take home project? If so...no problem stacking them on truck for return to project? No problem them sticking together? lol. I only ask that in reference to earlier post about stacking newly painted shutters on truck for transport.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, was this a site job or take home project? If so...no problem stacking them on truck for return to project? No problem them sticking together? lol. I only ask that in reference to earlier post about stacking newly painted shutters on truck for transport.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. You must have me/this thread confused with something elsewhere. There were no problems with sticking.

·
Painting Contractor
82 Posts
Great idea Spencer. So they stay vertical on the drying rack? Very economical spray rack system! I'm kinda wishing I didn't spend $300+ on the door decker system this year!

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great idea Spencer. So they stay vertical on the drying rack? Very economical spray rack system! I'm kinda wishing I didn't spend $300+ on the door decker system this year!
Yes, they dry vertically. To me, after the fact that you can spray all sides at once, hanging vertically to dry is the biggest advantage. Dust settling in the air can ruin the best paint paint job and make even the best paint feel rough and look rough as it dries and overspray/dust in the air settles.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,568 Posts
I'm not sure what you're talking about. You must have me/this thread confused with something elsewhere. There were no problems with sticking.
Sticking can be a common issue, depending on the paint, so knowing what you used is good info:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
I use 1 ml poly between the piece that will be in contact when transporting. It prevents the pieces from blocking. Do not use poly with lettering on it.

Tom

·
Painter
969 Posts
We just use door brackets and spray them in the rooms and let them dry as is. Great if you have the room

·
Registered
417 Posts
i did the same but made a cradle and screw attached the cradle to sawhorses so i had a rotisserie to spin the the doors for coating

ML

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sticking can be a common issue, depending on the paint, so knowing what you used is good info:thumbsup:
There is a little blocking. Haven't hung the doors yet. Hopefully it won't be an issue. Had some spindles stacked up and noticed they stuck just a little when I went to move them.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Great info Spencer. Not the sort of painting work I do so were these doors pre-primed or bare wood? I assume this is new construction or a large remodel so you had the room to do them on site.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great info Spencer. Not the sort of painting work I do so were these doors pre-primed or bare wood? I assume this is new construction or a large remodel so you had the room to do them on site.
Pre-Primed

Large remodel. Actually my own home. Thankfully in the finishing stages. Its getting cool so I sprayed in the garage and carried them inside the house (no flooring yet) for drying in the warmth.

I was disappointed with the amount of overspray I shot everywhere I need to experiment with some different tips. FFT might not be the thing to use on doors.

Most important detail. Shut the furnace off so it doesn't pull anything inside when the door is open. :censored:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts