Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reviewing the requirements for home improvement licensing in my area (MD) and their website says "applicants must provide proof of at least two years of experience in home improvement work, construction and/or related education." No other details beyond that, no extra links spelling this out in any more detail, etc. I called the licensing office and talked to someone to try and get a better explanation of this, and she was either clueless or this is far less "structured" than I would have guessed.

The only real answer I got was that they wanted 1 year of hands-on work and you could substitute a year of education for the 2nd year of experience. I asked what the stipulations were for hands-on work - full-time, part-time, under licensed contractor, etc., and she didn't really have an answer, only that each application is reviewed separately.

I asked her what counted as related education, whether those would be trade schools only, or would engineering classes (or a degree) count, and if so, which engineering discipline. Same response, they're reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

So, can anyone shed some light on this? I have an EE degree, which I found out from another thread that at least in some spots this will get you in the door to sit for the test for an electrician's license. I have also been essentially working part time for the last few years fixing my own home. I know, I know, the kiss of death, but I've actually been very meticulous about doing everything properly, to code, doing the research before swinging a hammer to make sure I'm doing things right. I'm looking to start doing this sort of stuff at least part-time for others, but would not even consider walking down the unlicensed road. I guess I could always submit the application and see what happens, but I thought someone else might have some insight on this.

Oh, should have mentioned, the thing about 2 yrs experience is just one of the requirements, rest are mostly credit/financial/insurance related, then if you meet all those you can take the licensing exam, and if you pass that then you get the license. Didn't mean to imply only req't was the 2 yr thing.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Here, it's 5 yrs. Proof would be a letter from a previous employer with his license# on it (they DO check). Then you get to take the test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a HIC(Home Improvement Contractor) license in Virginia. I also had to prove years of experience and take an exam, although there is a class C contractors license which doesn't require an exam and I believe one year of experience suffices. The limitation is that you can only do jobs of a few thousand dollars or less. You might want to check if Maryland has such a license, for it could be a good place to start and get some more experience while licensed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Henry Bockman said:
Hey Big E,

What kind of work will you be doing? I've got an MHIC License and I've had it for years. They don't really count for much since the testing has nothing to do with the kind of work you do.
Henry - Mostly interior remodel type of work, like kitchens, drywall, basements, etc. That's the thing, though, it seems like you could have loads of experience doing siding or something, and then get a license and now you can legally do interior stuff that you may have never touched before.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I think they don't really monitor the license thing well in any state. The reasons are self explanatory, but here goes.

If Gov gets in, then starts to pi$$ around, where do they draw the line? 'EVERY' contractor has his customer problems, some less than others, but their all there. It's the nature of the American market, no way around it. Now add the Gov......and well.....I think everybody gets the point......We can't even put away real criminals, how the hell could we handle penny anny points of disagreement.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts