Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard this one being discussed on the clark howard's show (consumer advocate). The client sets the price :blink: for the project and the first approved contractor to accept the price, gets the contract.

I haven't read through the site, just the front page. The talk show host said they'd been around a couple of years, but I've never heard of them. He was neutral on it, just throwing it out there.

I don't know if I can look through the site without joining, but I'll bet there are some real doosies on there. :shutup:

http://www.servicelive.com/MarketFrontend/homepage.action

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
ServiceLive.com is not new, even though it shows it in Beta right now, but it has been out for over one year so far and run by Sears as part of their effort to gain more market share for installations.

They have their own confusing forum and really screwed up qualification process.

Too much red tape to jump through.....

What else would you expect from another one of the big boys like Sears?

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are all remodeling lead services done by pay-per-lead? I use Construction Journal, and scroll through 50 projects every time I log on. I would hate to have to pay for each one, like that.

·
Banned
669 Posts
For a huge company like Sears to have this site seems odd, is it just a method to get their service men working on your project? or is it a genuine referral service? either way the homepage seems a bit corny... for Sears.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
From the ServiceLive.com forum

Ed

Team Live

EXTRA EXTRA... Sears launching ServiceLive to connect clients, contractors online
Extra Extra - Read about it!

Internet-based matching service focuses on home improvement projects

By Sandra M. Jones | Tribune reporter
February 13, 2009

Just in time for Valentine's Day, Sears is getting into the matchmaking business.

This isn't for people looking for love. Rather, the connections Sears hopes to make are of another sort, the kind that can turn your life upside down, make your stomach do back flips and generally leave you unhinged: the relationship between you and your contractor.

Sears Holdings Corp. plans to unveil Friday a home service marketplace called ServiceLive that matches consumers and contractors online. The business, which Sears describes as its first online start-up, lets customers choose a service, such as painting the bathroom or fixing the computer, then upload project photos, solicit bids from potential contractors, agree on a price, schedule the time and day of the service, and pay for it—all online. Then, customer and contractor rate their experience with each other.

"The economy is tough, and a lot of small businesses and people want to be smart about how they spend their money," said George Coll, Sears senior vice president of new services.

Sears' chairman and majority stakeholder, Edward Lampert, has been loath to invest in the thousands of Sears and Kmart stores owned by Sears Holdings, but he has taken a liking to Internet businesses, given their lower capital requirements and the relative ease with which new concepts can be tested.

Sears has spent the past year expanding its online presence. It added tens of thousands of products such as books and music to Sears.com, prompting comparisons to an Amazon-style online portal. And last month the retailer began transforming a shuttered Kmart in Joliet into a warehouse called MyGofer that lets shoppers pick up online purchases at a drive-through.

The goal for ServiceLive is to be what Coll calls a "neutral marketplace." Sears plans to generate revenue through fees. Service providers pay Sears a 10 percent commission on each sale. Customers pay a $10 fee each time they post a project, but Sears is waiving the fee initially to encourage people to try the service.

For the past year Sears has recruited contractors and has registered 23,000, with 9,000 so far vetted by Sears employees. Sears doesn't guarantee the work but will arrange mediation if a dispute can't be resolved.

While ServiceLive is a subsidiary of Sears Holdings, the venture doesn't trade on the Sears name. But it does rely on Sears' long history as a provider of home services, such as fixing appliances, which could help attract contractors.

Like most start-ups, ServiceLive doesn't have much money for marketing and relies on paid searches, online ads and word-of-mouth to generate initial interest.

"One of the biggest problems with any dot-com start-up is generating mass or generating enough eyeballs," said retail consultant Don Delzell. "We've educated the consumer to believe that the Internet is this great big free place where you can get everything you need. Connecting communities isn't difficult. It's doing it in a way that's a sustainable business model that is hard."

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I'll repeat....the site doesn't look like it has anything to do with sears (probably purposely). Are ya bored ed? :laughing:
As bored as some people are color blind I guess.

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts