Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What do you think?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
The deck is nice, but every time I see those cables I think that can't possibly be legal. I'm not saying it's not to code, it just seems like some kind of loophole.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
steex said:
The deck is nice, but every time I see those cables I think that can't possibly be legal. I'm not saying it's not to code, it just seems like some kind of loophole.
At one time they were disallowed because they create a "ladder effect" where kids could climb them. But that was done away with. Also they still have to meet the 4" rule between baluster infill. In other words a 4" sphere still cannot fit through them even when stretched open. You will notice Mark installed intermediate posts to prevent this.

·
Super Moderator
29,340 Posts
Why? They pass 300 lbs lateral test. Gaps lsss than 4".

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess I could have passed on a 40+k job because the customer wanted this and I thought it shouldn't be allowed. JK

I don't push these railings and I do inform the customers of their drawbacks, but at the end of the day, I have to feed my family.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
I would let my family hang out on that deck, it's perfectly safe.

I just went to a dinner party/intro for cable railing. Now I can't remember what the name of them were.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
Wow, you have to tell me about those standoffs, are they floating, or fastened? They look expensive. Are they composite? What are the size increments?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, you have to tell me about those standoffs, are they floating, or fastened? They look expensive. Are they composite? What are the size increments?
Yes they are floating and are a composite material. They are expensive, but they can save some time.

They have increments starting at 1/16", 1/8" and so on. Once you get up to 1 1/4" they have adjustable heights and it's just a matter of screwing them up or down.

The yellow pieces come out of the larger adjustable pieces, to allow them to go even higher. We did not need them and with them in, the supports were too tall.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Also they still have to meet the 4" rule between baluster infill. In other words a 4" sphere still cannot fit through them even when stretched open. You will notice Mark installed intermediate posts to prevent this.
That's probably the main reason those look sketchy to me. I swear I could jam a baby through them if I tried hard enough, but the extra uprights do definitely take up a lot of the slack. I'm unreasonably sensitive about baluster spacing because I was traumatized as a child when I got my head stuck between some staircase banisters that were probably about 6" apart and I screamed for at least an hour before some grownups found me and cut me out.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Great work Mark.

Everything works. Good to see another Kamado ( big green egg ) I have been cooking with one for 20 years or so.

Good ol torchdown, have you ever installed TPO ?

Sweet rail system but kind of hackeish with the posts on the outside. Just Kidding !!!

How did you fasten the Ipe ? I wonder who is the one Guy that didn't like it.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,555 Posts
I don't think I've seen one of your decks I didn't like Mark. Especially like the BBQ station.

Not too fond of your customer's taste in deck furniture tho. Those green chairs are downright ugly, imo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts