Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
another deck collapses

I really am surprised we dont see a lot more of this here in south Tx. Mike. I would not wish that on anybody but any time one of these learn out of the book inspectors comes to a house new or pre existing they never look at the decks here. I have really drawn some sore/ignorant eyes bringing this up. I lost a interior trim contract to a builder when I told him the deck would soon fail and his drywaller was not nailing at sole plate. Worked for him for 3 years and bringing this up shot me out the door. Man he paid good but oh well. Back when I didn't know better working for builders. You would get sick looking at some of the decks here. Yea I know there are hacks all over but how could you sleep. So much for my venting.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
we are down the road from that currently on vacation. The issue here is most decks would struggle to handle this situation. get 10+ people standing in a small confined area and your pushing your 40LL to its limit. 10 200lb+ people in an area that size for a photo is a awful lot of weight and this is with normal sized people. you get 10+ 300-400lb on there there's 99% chance its gonna fail.

·
deck aficionado
531 Posts
Here's a beauty we were called in to fix/finish. Sandwiched posts, some nice hardware work, and a heck of a ledger connection later the HOs just told me yesterday the guy turned himself in for fraud.

I've never tried to use scare tactics to get a job but the other side of me does kick in from time to time and feels like we might be literally saving lives by alerting the HOs of what could potentially happen

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another deck collapse

Deckman not to jack the thread here but I am only 30 minutes away from you in Canyon Lake. Just wondering have you seen hangers used on overhead decks there?

·
deck aficionado
531 Posts
Bcc - those beach house decks SHOULD be built to support more than 40LL though. They're typically used by large/numerous families at once and any competent decker should know this when building on those properties. I'd go 2x12, 12OC and never worry about it.

I do wonder though how the sand affects footing stability etc - I'm sure we've got some beach builders around here who can chime in on that

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
The corrosion rate on the coast is definitely a factor. The framing on the last deck I demolished had zero rot but the saddles were completely rusted out on most of the hangers. When we pry up old deck boards the galv nails just snap most of the time.

A big part of the issue is that this deck was 30 years old. Periodic inspections for exterior structures are a must.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Whenever I'm at a party were a deck is being used, I always play building inspector and casually check the condition before mingling with the crowd.

I'd bet I'm not the only one...fess up guys, how many more with this affliction?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I sure do. I check them at friends and family's house too. I almost had a heart attack when my FIL's brother put a hot tub up on his rickety deck. They had six people muscle it up a flight of deck stairs, with no middle supports, and onto the deck and started filling it. 4x4 posts with lousy footings, 2x6 joists and a nailed ledger. It was horrifying.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another deck collapse

Not to jack your post but why wouldn't you use hangers on an overhead deck?
Dont know if you read my first post but this was my point as well. Deckman is 30 minutes away and knowing the trade base holds their heads a little higher there was just wondering if he sees as many as I do without hangers. Maybe you need to read post from jump and again sorry to jack this thread as Mike brought up some serious for thought here,

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Bcc - those beach house decks SHOULD be built to support more than 40LL though. They're typically used by large/numerous families at once and any competent decker should know this when building on those properties. I'd go 2x12, 12OC and never worry about it.

I do wonder though how the sand affects footing stability etc - I'm sure we've got some beach builders around here who can chime in on that
all the houses are built on 8x8's in the sand. Not exactly sure how they put these in but i think they drive them in till they hit something solid. I have dub a 7ft deep hole here before and never hit anything solid so they must be deep.

But your right they should build them stronger. Im guessing up in the 150LL would be a safe and sure beat as your prob double what would be put in that area.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another deck collapses

Whenever I'm at a party were a deck is being used, I always play building inspector and casually check the condition before mingling with the crowd.

I'd bet I'm not the only one...fess up guys, how many more with this affliction?
Yea seal but I just dont do the deck I have to do the whole place. Then if its a party its time to eye all the candy. And I really like to eye punch commercial bhildings. Guess its in our blood

·
Registered
373 Posts

My neighbor had a deck built a few years ago, and I won't go on it. 4 6x6 posts notched onto the rim. No beam, and no hangars. They don't use it much either, probably a good thing.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts