Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
any details? i'm curious how awful it was built. I'm on a job right now because somebody's 2 year old roof had no step flashing (at all), no I&W, the shingles were nailed at the top, and a huge lack of drip edge. Tons of water rotted part of the framing and allowed a beautiful new entry way for the carpenter ants... Some people just don't get it...

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
Sounds like the landlord went with the high bid. But I also wonder why people assume a deck can hold all the weight you can put on it.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The report says it is a civil matter, not criminal...

Something tells me this should change, if shortcuts were taken, not built to code, etc, etc, and now people were injured due to the violations, this should be considered criminal.
I couldn't agree with you more. There is so many botched up jobs out there, just waiting for an accident to happen.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
The video report says no lags just nails.

How the hell does anyone think nails are going to work?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Nailed ontop of the Siding? ya that will work....6D should do it.

WTF....The guy who built it should go to jail.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Was that deck upside down on the ground?
That's what I keep thinking about. The ledger or rim must have gave out and it hinged and flipped. Must have been awful violent with that much inertia. It would be nice to see before pictures.
I'm not for any more government, but perhaps rentals should have to pass safety inspections annually or something. A new owner might have gotten a heads up from an inspection, but renters just move in and assume everything is okay.
Sad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The report says it is a civil matter, not criminal...

Something tells me this should change, if shortcuts were taken, not built to code, etc, etc, and now people were injured due to the violations, this should be considered criminal.

There is the other side of this as well.. Customers that don't pay are criminals in my opinion... Call the police on them and it's a civil matter :censored:

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Nailed ontop of the Siding? ya that will work....6D should do it.

WTF....The guy who built it should go to jail.
There are some other news clips on this and the township inspector was interviewed leaving the excuse of the progression of code from the time it was built. I think it was built with the house...

A member here Matt Breyer (breyerconstruction) was also in the news segment leaving tips on how to inspect your deck etc... if I can find the link, I'll post it.

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
You would be surprised what some decks around here were built like just 15 or 20 years ago. NO hangers, NO piers or sonotubes, NO lags anywhere (except maybe a FEW as in less than 8, and not even lags, just carriage bolts here and there), as for nails, you MAY find some 3 1/2s in there somewhere... Yea, some wonderful hackmanship.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
tdmopar59 said:
There is the other side of this as well.. Customers that don't pay are criminals in my opinion... Call the police on them and it's a civil matter :censored:
Not paying your bill whether it's a contractor or visa is a civil matter, people getting hurt or die from something like this is criminal since it doesn't meet the bare standards...it's negligence causing bodily harm

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
To me I believe the deck came off the house and must of went forward at some point... Or it shifted one direction of the other trapping people below it.

Rescue workers and other people must of flip it off of them.

So the peace facing us is the one that was attached to the house and it has siding nailed onto to it?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah it looks like to me it flip out from the ledger. Doesn't look like posts were bolted either since they're just laying there un attached.

I have fixed 2 decks on one street recently that had no hardware installed.
They were bigger decks 16x36 with a bump out in the middle to follow the contour of the house's breakfast nook. Neither had joist hangers or post bolts. The ledger was lagged to the house though. They were very badly built structures. The HO's were selling and a home inspector found the issues upon sale. The houses were about 18 years old and the HOs said the decks were built by the original builder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not paying your bill whether it's a contractor or visa is a civil matter, people getting hurt or die from something like this is criminal since it doesn't meet the bare standards...it's negligence causing bodily harm

don't get me wrong that's 100% criminal... You put people in danger and then it caused harm.... as a contractor you are a professional who knows how to do things correctly and safely... not a hack who can swing a hammer. just saying how the laws are BS both ways.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts