Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't burn me to bad on my idea, I just like to think out loud.

I am pretty sure that the FCC allows unlicensed radio transmitters and I am not sure if you are allowed to have them in your vehicle.

But my idea is to broadcast a AM/FM radio message form your vehicle about your company, why you are the best :thumbup: and what kind of deals you have going on, and have it looped 24/7.

And you would advertise this station on your truck (decal) and while you are sitting in traffic people could tune into your broadcast, even if it only broadcast up to a few hundred feet.

Besides the initial investment for a transmitter (I believe they are quite affordable) I think you might find a few curious potential customers, while sitting in traffic.

If it is legal whats everyone's opinion...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,978 Posts
Click here for the FCC web site about low-power FM transmitters.

·
Registered
685 Posts
IMO, having an easily remembered and easily seen web address will allow the potential customers to review your business when they want to, also allows much more info to be made available to them.

Ray

·
Registered
416 Posts
Please don't burn me to bad on my idea, I just like to think out loud.

I am pretty sure that the FCC allows unlicensed radio transmitters and I am not sure if you are allowed to have them in your vehicle.

But my idea is to broadcast a AM/FM radio message form your vehicle about your company, why you are the best :thumbup: and what kind of deals you have going on, and have it looped 24/7.

And you would advertise this station on your truck (decal) and while you are sitting in traffic people could tune into your broadcast, even if it only broadcast up to a few hundred feet.

Besides the initial investment for a transmitter (I believe they are quite affordable) I think you might find a few curious potential customers, while sitting in traffic.

If it is legal whats everyone's opinion...

I swear this already exists. Now if could only remember where I have seen it before

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes my idea is inspired from the realtor talking sign/house idea.

And I do not think this idea would replace your website, just an additional outlet for you to advertise your company.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think this idea is legal, after skimming through the FCC guidelines for low-power transmitters.

Jason

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
This is a reprint from several posts I made in another forum last April and has a lot of information contained in it about this method of reaching out to consumers.

Ed

Has anybody ever heard of someone using a “Talking Job Sign.”

If you have a job site that allows you to post a job sign, maximize this marketing opportunity.

Post a 24-hour access phone number on your job sign or an AM0 frequency to dial into and listen.

The phone number can be used to answer any questions that passers by may have, if you have someone live at the other end.

Or, you can have a pre-recorded message about the project and your company.

Include in the prerecorded message interesting facts about the project where the sign is displayed.

Include information that makes it easy to contact you for further discussion.

Include your Website address.

Has anybody ever considered this concept, similar to what realtor's sometimes do with their real estate signage?

[URL="http://www.listentomyhouse.com/signs.php"][URL]http://www.listentomyhouse.com/signs.php[/URL][/URL]

<a href="http://www.home-phone.com/u/Index2FW.asp" target="_blank">http://www.home-phone.com/u/Index2FW.asp</a>

<a href="http://www.talkinghouse.com/newweb/" target="_blank">http://www.talkinghouse.com/newweb/</a>

And here is one that sends text messages to cell phones, if the phone user enters a code.

<a href="http://buildingonline.com/news/viewnews.pl...subcategory=230" target="_blank">http://buildingonline.com/news/viewnews.pl...subcategory=230</a>

New *Advanced*

Transmitter

Important Features:

Longer Message Time - 5 minutes of message time lets you say all you need to say. You don’t need to fill it all, however! Your message repeats immediately with no dead air time.

117 Stations Available on LED Display - Transmits on any AM station 530-1700 kHz

Two-Part message Option - You can record the first part of the message, then later add to the end of it. This means you can lock in a perfect message that you "always" want on the transmitter, and later only add the information about a new location, or new promotion.

Enhanced Sound Quality - The new generation of memory chips have a 27% faster "Sampling Rate." You sound crisp and clear. (This does NOT use a tape!)

Solid State Memory for Message Storage - Message stored on computer chips - never wears out!

Hand Held Microphone - This is in addition to the built-in microphone, and makes recordings easier to do, and better sounding.

No-Drift Frequency Control / Better Range - Sophisticated quartz locked, crytstal tuning system keeps your transmitter perfectly tuned for strongest output. Gets you every inch of range allowed by the F.C.C.

Key Lock - When you pull out the key, no one can tamper with your message or frequency

Simple Push Button Controls - One button Record, one button transmit, Plus you can stop during your recording, then start up again.

External Transmitter - For those tough locations that need greatly extended range, the External ATU will cover a larger geographic area -- often up to a half mile and more.

Great Looks - High-tech look will impress your clients.

Fully FCC Approved - No license needed. Just plug in and you're on the air.

Technical Specifications

Range*: 300-3000 ft.
Frequency Choices: 530-1700 AM
Message Length: Up to 5 min.
Message Storage: Computer Chips
Microphone: Built-in and hand-held
Size: 8” x 14” x 3”
Weight: 4 lbs.
Antenna: 3 meters
Power: 110AC/12v DC
*Guaranteed 300 feet your range may vary

Call us toll free to learn more 1-800-444-TALK (8255)
Fax us at 1-888-923-6222

Contact Talking House

I found this by clicking through one of the links and it said, "Builders Click Here".

Here's How it Works

1. The transmitter sits inside the property. Safe and silent. No one notices its there. Record your message onto digital voice chip using the handheld microphone.
2. Yard sign works 24
hours a day, 7 days a
week encouraging people to "tune in". And they do!
3. Prospects hear all the features that make your home special. The home stands out, so it sells faster and for top dollar.
Here's What it does for you
Talking House lets you paint a picture for every prospect…merchandise the special details that set your homes apart…create the first impression that your homes deserves…and, of course, provide all the routine information every prospective buyer wants.

Talking House is already in use by hundreds of homebuilders across the U.S., and it's PROVEN to do the following:

Increase your sales
Cut down on the hassles of showing your homes
Encourage more prospects who are already pre-sold on your homes walk through the door
Enable you to actively sell your homes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - 365 days a year

Satisfaction Guaranteed
The Talking House system is guaranteed to make a difference in your business. Try it for a 3 full months without risk. Simply put out the yard signs, hide the transmitters, and Talking House will help get your homes sold faster. Guaranteed. If you don't see a difference in 3 full months, return it all for a full refund. No risk, no questions asked, nothing to lose.

Here's What You Get

Our deluxe, 5-minute transmitter, which is compact enough to sit on a shelf or small table.
A complete set of yard and directional signs
A convenient hand-held microphone

Call Today!
1-800-444-8255

For More Information

Fax us at 1-888-923-6222 or E-mail us [email protected]
Broadcast Marketing 2070 Maple Street, Des Plaines, IL 60018

Here is the pricing.

Complete Actradio Messaging System
To order call Toll Free 800-444-8255

Single
Payment Payment Plan
The Starter Pack 1 Transmitter
1 Set of Yard/ Directional Signs
1 Hand-Held microphone
Operations Manual
Exclusive Marketing Handbook
$650

With 3 Month
Money back
Guarantee!
The Builder Pack 3 Transmitters
3 sets of Yard/ Directional Signs
1 Hand-Held microphone
Operations Manual
$1,308 Monthly
$327 x 4
or
$82 x 18

With 3 Month
Money back
Guarantee!
The Value Pack 5 Transmitters
5 sets of Yard/ Directional Signs
1 Hand-Held microphone
Operations Manual
$1,844 Monthly
$461 x 4
or
$116 x 18

With 3 Month
Money back
Guarantee!
Extended Range Kit Auxiliary Transmitting Unit
8-foot Fiberglass Whip
Antenna
25 feet of coaxial cable $195

Extends Your Broadcast Range Up To A Quarter Mile
Shipping & Handling Starter Pack add $15.00
Builder Pack add $25.00
Value Pack add $30.00

Shipping Charges
Illinois Residents please add 9% sales tax to your order

I also found one that is bluetooth enabled. When someone with a bluetooth enabled phone drives within range, the phone will ask them if they would like to download your brochure! It is here:

[URL]http://www.blueflyers.com/pricing.cfm[/URL]

Ed

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
So I'm wondering, assuming its leagle how would you get your message to actually play on your targets radio?
I keep mine tuned to one station most of the time and if your not broadcasting on that frequency I dont think I would hear you. If I did hear you I would probably not apreciate your butting in on top of what I had intended to listen to. I'm also pretty sure the station you would be drowning out would not be happy either and that part may not be leagle.

Not bashing your Idea as Ideas are what drive progress but i am sceptical.

Cheers Jim

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
The talking sign could serve other purposes.

"Hi, This XXX builders. How can we be so affordable? Simple-we use illegal labor, under pay and don't have insurance or necessary licensing..."

You could approach the suspected site as a sign salesman. Offer them the sign as "free for this job as a trial" and "guaranteed to get results".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info Ed. And Jim the way I would approach it is I would have it in my vehicle and have a decal that says "tune into 1080am for our current deals" something like that. And may be you would have a few people tune in... Just and idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts