Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I'm not getting any initial pilot gas to ignite. The inducer motor activates, the vacuum switch works as the ignitor comes on fine. Check and cleared the pilot tube... no problem there. Get this..HVAC guy comes down to check it. He replaces the ignitor but his doesn't work. Mine tests out OK so he reinstalls it & "viola" everything works. It gets so warm in the house that my lovely bride turns down the heat at the thermostat and nothing after that. Right back to the initial problem. One more angle..power comes into the furnace via an old fused switch panel that in the past if the furnance went out you could switch the handle back and forth and the furnace would restart, could it be enough variation of amps going through the old panel that it would effect the gas valve??

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
Not Neccessarily, By Turning The Power Off Then Back On You Are Resetting The Ignition Module. What Type Of Gas Valve Is It? An Vr8200 Series Or Vr8300 Series. What Type Of Module Do You Have? S890- S8910 Series Module? Check To See If The Module and The Valve Have Pv And Mv/pv Terminals. If So Check To See If The Connections Are Good. These Terminals Send 24 Volts To The Pilot Valve. The Pilot Valve Opens When The Ignitor Starts Up. In About 3-4 Sec The Pilot Lights, which Needs To Be Proven In About 1.0 Seconds Thru The Flame Sensor. When You See The Ignitor Start Up Check For 24 Volts At The Pv And Mv/pv Terminals(some Older Models Have Seperate Pv & Pv Terminals). If There Is 24 v Then There Is A Problem With The Pilot Valve Section Of The Gas Valve. If There Is No Voltage Then Check At The Same Terminals Found On The Ignition Module, Making Sure There Is A Good Connection. If There Is No Voltage There Then There Is A Problem With The Ign. Mod. Itself.

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
yeh, BTOPhtHAT00 is right, it a smartvalve in the rpjII. check for loose wiring at the terminal harness. make sure the flame envelope surrounds the flame sensor, and make sure your grounding is good. a new smartvalve is about $400 retail installed. try to get another tech out there who knows what he is doing. have go thru the whole gambit of checks before spending that kind of money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts