Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Because people are curious and want to know this stuff, I've included these numbers in my job photos. I've had threads locked by the mods for asking somebody what the "going rate" was for a certain type of job in an area. He accused me of being a home owner instead of simply looking up some of my old posts and KNOWING I am real.

That's the reason I include numbers for anybody that is curious to know these things. I live in rural South Carolina. Obviously, my costs and expenses are vastly differnent than someone who, let's say, works in Manhatten, or highrises in Orlando.

When you see me use the term "Gross Profit" I am referring to the DIRECT OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES for that particular job, not including money going in my pocket. That's not taking in account, my normal operating expenses, like the cost of my truck, insurance, cell phone, tools, etc. On average, it costs me between $12K and $15K a year to "be in business" regardless of how much or how little I work, you can do the math.

I struggle to price things. I always have. I think it's great to see how others price things. I know geography plays a huge role, but it still helps. I wish we could have a pricing section in the forum. Thanks for sharing.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
I struggle to price things. I always have. I think it's great to see how others price things. I know geography plays a huge role, but it still helps. I wish we could have a pricing section in the forum. Thanks for sharing.
Never understood how it helps to know what someone else charges.

Neither of you will have the same overhead, same profit margin and growth strategy.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Never understood how it helps to know what someone else charges.

Neither of you will have the same overhead, same profit margin and growth strategy.

I learn a lot when I see someone elses pricing----

I was shocked to see how much basement water proofers charge for adding interior footing drains---I sure could make some money doing that--and I have---

The 'ups and extras' that a plumber uses to make a buck--I can use that info for my own benefit--

The list goes on---I have left a pile of money on the table over the years. Knowing what a customer will accept from another contractor sure helps me----

We all have our own way of doing things---

I hate it when I miss out on a profit---

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
I learn a lot when I see someone elses pricing----

I was shocked to see how much basement water proofers charge for adding interior footing drains---I sure could make some money doing that--and I have---

The 'ups and extras' that a plumber uses to make a buck--I can use that info for my own benefit--

The list goes on---I have left a pile of money on the table over the years. Knowing what a customer will accept from another contractor sure helps me----

We all have our own way of doing things---

I hate it when I miss out on a profit---
But you have no idea what their overhead is.

Why wait to see what others get? Just raise your rates. The only time I regret my price is when a customer jumps too quickly on it.

Unless you are a licensed plumber how does knowing his pricing help your pricing?

Unless you know that the customer would be willing to pay the extra you have no idea what you "left on the table". It wasn't necessarily money in play.

I have never cared what someone else was getting. I charge for the clientele I want to have.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts