Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
300k on my 04.
Did HG's once due to oil cooler failure
Did HG's a second time due to aftermarket gasket failure (clear gasket failure, thanks a lot Black Onyx)
Run the truck hard, tows at least 3+ days a week. Run an approx 100hp tune for daily driving and towing. I can't complain about fuel mileage
EGR delete is a must do. I'd dump the coolant and run a filter. You'd be surprised what you find. A high quality oil (synthetic) is worth the money and at regular intervals.
What all do you want to know? Reading up on these engines is a must do, and learning how to monitor them can save you thousands.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Only experiences i have with them is through friends and none of them will ever buy a 6.0 again. In fact only 1 out of 5 of them still runs Fords although he did try a Dodge for awhile. Most of the others went to Dodge or GM. The 6.0 left a bad vibe for Ford, the 6.4 was better but horrible on fuel. The new 6.7 is an animal from those i know driving them.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would run from it I had a 06. I do not know how Ford has not had a class action law suit from that motor the 6.0 is fords K car Dodge had

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
If the typical 6.0 stuff has been done then I say go for it. My boss put a lot of money into his and now it runs great. So someone took care of the bad stuff for you. After all that it is a strong and reliable motor.

Don't forget to post some pics. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Just turned 100k on an '06 Powerstroke.

It has been flawless.

Completely stock, except for an air cleaner.

and the lift kit & tires...:laughing:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The biggest problem with the 6.0 is that it replaced the 7.3....:whistling
Maintaining a 7.3 is so easy a caveman could do it, 6.0, no so much.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The egr is part of the problem but it all starts with the oil cooler. It's clogs and coolant flow slows through the egr cooler where it boils and bursts from steam pressure. Then the steam goes back into your intake via the gas side of the egr cooler and there goes the head gaskets.

·
Aaron
35 Posts
Going to follow up with everyone else said.... EGR Delete and cooler are pretty much a must. Head studs to replace the gaskets is also a good idea, although I have yet to do that to mine.

I have read that injectors go bad but I have not had that problem. I have an EGR delete kit and cooler on mine, a new turbo, new wiring harnesses and computer, and recently went to a 5'' race exhaust pipe.... no cat or muffler. This has made a very big difference with towing for me. Huge Difference.

Read up, change your oil and fluids and get a set of gauges. I have two 6.0L and while you shouldn't have to put that much money into an engine to make it reliable, I really work mine and they do fine.

·
Raawwwrrrr
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wnc. Its tough to find a truck in the northeast for such a good deal. Truck is immaculate with all service records, unmolested, fully loaded and matching cap for under 10g. Even if I have to sink 2g to get it where it needs to be, I am still ahead of game. Tundra has to go. Worst case I can always rely on Black Betty.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Truck Pickup truck

1 - 20 of 32 Posts