Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 French doors (outswing) to purchase for a bay home in coastal Texas. The doors are all covered by deep porches (12 feet).

We are close to pulling the trigger on Anderson 400 series. 7 French (both operating - interior grid - pine - high end hardware) plus a single outswing for a toal of 8 doors. Quote is 24k for non impact and 38k for impact doors from HD. I figured that corrugated Lexan (or facsimile) panels are worth putting up on 7 doors to save that much money.

This isn't a spec home, it's for our kids to have one day.

Is there a better price? If so, from who?
Is there a better door for the price? If so, which one?

Since the doors are under a great deal of porch, the largest concern on the coastal bend is the continuous breeze that blows. The door seal is critical for this exposure in this location.

Thanks a ton for your brains

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Quote is 24k for non impact and 38k for impact doors from HD.

Is there a better price? If so, from who?
Is there a better door for the price? If so, which one?
Just my two cents, but I might have shopped somewhere else than HD for doors...like a millwork/lumber/building materials distributor.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
Chris - I am surprised that they were ONLY $3,000 a piece....
I wish we were getting a magic discount. We're replacing every window in this house and I still don't think we got a significant price break. These come to me from the rep at my local yard.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I wish we were getting a magic discount. We're replacing every window in this house and I still don't think we got a significant price break. These come to me from the rep at my local yard.
Chris - your price is pretty spot on. I don't know how much costs vary from your area to mine, but I just did a french door replacement job. A total of 4 units, Anderson 400, 6-0 inswing, SDL, clad exterior, pine interior, and I think each door was around $2,800-$2,900 with the sales rep telling me I was "getting a volume deal".

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
The quality is what's most important to me. I've been working on this house for 5 years. It was the worst in the neighborhood originally, with builder grade EVERYTHING.

We replaced the second floor windows with Andersen casements--big suckers too, almost 3-0 wide. I was concerned initially with selecting such a big sash size for a casement, but these are very solid. We've done a total a six so far, with another 12 or so to go.

The before on this house:

Before our most recent work, we'd already given the house a facelift:

The nearly finished facace:

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
It's not really the said price paid, it's the fact that it sounds like a HO is the OP. I don't care how "new" you are, what kind of builder goes to HD to price out doors & windows? I mean, if this was truly from a new builder, why are they shopping at HD when he obviously has questions about the materials he's using? I'm sure the knowledgeable staff at the doors and windows department in HD showed him all the options for a specialty build as this one on the windy, salty coastline, right.....

I'm sorry, I have an issue with sharing pricing info with a possible HO on this site.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
The quality is what's most important to me. I've been working on this house for 5 years. It was the worst in the neighborhood originally, with builder grade EVERYTHING.
What is wrong with builder grade everything? You mean 2 1/4" casing painted with the same sheen and color as the walls, ceiling and doors is not the style?

We replaced the second floor windows with Andersen casements--big suckers too, almost 3-0 wide. I was concerned initially with selecting such a big sash size for a casement, but these are very solid. We've done a total a six so far, with another 12 or so to go.
Chris, are they 3-0 single or double casement?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
What is wrong with builder grade everything? You mean 2 1/4" casing painted with the same sheen and color as the walls, ceiling and doors is not the style?

Chris, are they 3-0 single or double casement?
We got the maximum standard width they build a single casement in, which is just shy of 3-0.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
It's not really the said price paid, it's the fact that it sounds like a HO is the OP. I don't care how "new" you are, what kind of builder goes to HD to price out doors & windows? I mean, if this was truly from a new builder, why are they shopping at HD when he obviously has questions about the materials he's using? I'm sure the knowledgeable staff at the doors and windows department in HD showed him all the options for a specialty build as this one on the windy, salty coastline, right.....

I'm sorry, I have an issue with sharing pricing info with a possible HO on this site.
Angus, I think everyone already assumed it was a H/O but then Chris hijacked the thread comparing costs of Anderson products.:w00t:

And of course, he has to go and post more outstanding pictures of his work to make us all jealous.:notworthy

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
Angus, I think everyone already assumed it was a H/O but then Chris hijacked the thread comparing costs of Anderson products.:w00t:

And of course, he has to go and post more outstanding pictures of his work to make us all jealous.:notworthy
Sorry... I'm like a proud father when it comes to that project... :laughing:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Pricing these days isn't much of a trade secret. A Contractor I used to work for was doing a big window and door job with approx $90k of Marvin Ultimate windows and doors. Job started going south, homeowner started questioning all of the pricing (This particular contractor was very high priced) and he walked into the showroom of one of the large building supply companies here on LI and walked out with a quote that was actually $100 less for 3 ultimate series french doors than what we were paying. There went that 20% markup on materials and while we finished the job and got paid, I don't think we got any referals from that job.

As for pricing at Home Depot and Lowes, perhaps based on his location its most convenient for him. When I bought windows for my own home, a relative that works for Lowes gave me a 15% off coupon and at the time, pella was having a free screen promo at lowes, so I saved a bundle. I have bought Pella's from my building supply many times and there was no diff in the product and a big diff in the bottom line.

Suppliers are hurting for business, they will sell to anyone and in doing so will reduce the price to compete with the other suppliers. Within 5-10 miles of my house I have Allied, Riverhead, Nassau Suffolk, Alside, etc, so there are all after the same $.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts