Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed an Andersen Perma-Shield gliding patio door. Door was factory assembled and arrived on site as a single unit. All my helper and I had to do was place it into the opening. But there is air infiltration where the operating panel and fixed panel overlap (along the center vertical stile). The interlocking weatherstrip doesn't make a tight seal. I think the problem is that the receiving jamb is slightly bowed out (maybe 1/8 to 3/16") in the area about 12 inches above and 12 inches below the latch receiver.

Any suggestions about how to correct this problem? I tried tightening the screws in the area of the bow to pull it closer to the framing member with no success.

-Tom

·
General Contractor
7,987 Posts
First of all specify your location.

Second of all I never seen Anderson door come pre-assembled from the factory,because its to big to transfer from the store to the job for most contractors or consumers for that matter, unless it was purchased from a Building supply store or a lumber yard and they deliver and do their own assembly. Other then that it always comes in the box and you assemble on the job site.

Sometimes the weather strip or seal of the door is slightly bent from the packaging, using a heat gun will help straighten that out...just don't hold it to close of you will melt it.

Sometimes who ever installed the weather seal, put it on the wrong way and you will not have proper seal.

If everything is installed correctly, and none of the above will help solving the problem, get a new weather seal, or replace the door... you will not have a problem with Anderson products :thumbsup:

·
Banned
485 Posts
Greg speaks the truth. If all is correct, get the Anderson rep on it. Around here, the Anderson rep is great, just a phone call, and he handles it. Probably not the same everywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andersen will, on request, deliver a 2-panel patio door pre-assembled. You can go to YouTube to see it, enter "Andersen Assembled A-Series Door Installation." The door is very heavy and 2 beefy guys are needed to carry it and maneuver it into place.

I called Andersen and they are sending me "foam interlock spacer tape." My understanding is that this tape is applied to the vertical interlocking weather strip to seal any gaps along its length. I'm not sure I like this solution even if it works.

Incidentally, I am located in northern Virginia just outside of D.C.

·
General Contractor
7,987 Posts
I don't know about that tape...I guess it is something they have to rectify that problem the quick way. I never seen it done with tape, so not sure how it looks. If it looks like s^*t and HO complains, you can always call back and as HM Repairs said, they're very good and provide great service.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
windows & siding
844 Posts
If one of the side jambs is bowing then more than likely that's an installation issue and can be fixed by means of proper shimming, properly placed fasteners, etc. I've never met a door or window that I could not get a side jamb perfectly straight, regardless of whether or not it had a bow in it prior to install. The actually sash or door panel itself is a different story...Either way, the foam is a band-aid fix and doesn't address the real problem.

·
General Contractor
7,987 Posts
If one of the side jambs is bowing then more than likely that's an installation issue and can be fixed by means of proper shimming, properly placed fasteners, etc. I've never met a door or window that I could not get a side jamb perfectly straight, regardless of whether or not it had a bow in it prior to install. The actually sash or door panel itself is a different story...Either way, the foam is a band-aid fix and doesn't address the real problem.
I think he is having a problem with the weather strip on the door and stationary panel itself, where they lock when door is closed, and that is where its bowed, not where the door meets the jamb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
. I've never met a door or window that I could not get a side jamb perfectly straight, regardless of whether or not it had a bow in it prior to install. .
The side jamb is bowed inward starting about 14 inches above and extending to 14 inches below the latch receiver. Because of this the moving panel won't travel far enough when closed and locked to tightly seal the interlocking weather strip located where the fixed and moving panels meet. The side jamb is aluminum. If I exert enough pressure on it to straighten it then the aluminum will permanently distort, and/or kink.

·
General Contractor
7,987 Posts
Sounds like you need a new frame if the frame is welded or a leg replacement on that side.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Wow, pre-assembled, aluminum framed Andersen doors with a weatherstripping problem.:eek:

I've heard it all now.:blink:

Reactions: Framer53

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I have installed one Andersen door that I had to assemble......I hated it!!

·
A door a day is all I ask
68 Posts
On the original problem, there may be a nail, bow or small object on the trimmer that is
keeping the jamb from straightening out.

As far as the box vs pre-assmbled discussion goes: I work alone most of the time and
I prefer the box version because I can install them by myself...Even 6'0x8'0 units.
The pre-assembled unit require a helper, even the small ones.

RC/DG

·
General Contractor
7,987 Posts
I installed so many of this doors and never had a problem with Andersen sliders. Put frame together is a snap, takes no time at all and pop into the opening, level it and put a few screws in to secure the frame, drop the doors on the track, put the lock on... everything is pre-drilled ...don't get anymore simple then that.

I never seen aluminum frame on Andersen door, but I assume the OP can read and tell the difference between Vinyl clad and Aluminum. So if the frame is bent it has to go back no matter who makes the door, the product is defective, and if you keep playing with it, you might not get your money back. Call them up and tell him to pick the door up and send you a new one. If you satisfied with the foam tape they gonna send you, then you all set :thumbsup:

·
Registered
419 Posts
all the andersons i get from abc are pre-assembled. sliding and french. as far as air infiltration? get a rep out and they should take care of it. tell the homeowner it's out of your hands now and it is not a install issue. but do guide them and be the middle man of the entire process. homeowner like their hands held when there is a problem.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have installed one Andersen door that I had to assemble......I hated it!!
I've got well over 300 under my belt. Anywhere from 5' wide to 12' wide. The 8'ers are the worst, with 4' panels. We used to do them before the decks were framed.:eek:

I did a duplex one time with 12 Permashield 60s. The frames were assembled on site the day before. I went in with one helper, panned and installed all 12 in less than 8 hours. I miss those days.

Those doors aren't bad after you get a few under your belt and can throw the instructions away.:thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around an aluminum framed Andersen product.:blink:

They ruled the market along the Jersey Shore with their cladded wood products for 25 years.

Pella came and went, due to corrosion and pitting of their aluminum cladding.

Is this something new Andersen has launched, or is it a geographic thing?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts