Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you cannot argue their past sucess and willingness to lead instead of follow but the profit has simply been taken away from dealers and mostly by (ugg) home slezepo. an example is on a simple patio door replacment i met w/ homeowner, wrote her quote but failed to close. she mentioned she'd been to hd and the price was much better. i asked her to show me AND SHE DID. basically they were charging her within about 20 bucks of wholesale, the the guy mentions they'll install for 400.00 bucks. hell ya still need 80 bucks worth of installation material. comeon go dart sell on your strengths and i did but she's blinded by a cheap price. the 400.00 difference is my profit and i'll earn it. this isn't an isolated incident its becoming common place. i know, find another line but i've sold and serviced these products for 22 yrs, hell its like a marrige. i'm not even blaming the homeowner. oh well needed to vent. did note they have the door handed wrong and i turned down an install only. i can only hope they tear the old door out before they layout the new one. try calling the owner of hd then. hell it takes 30 minutes to get anyone on the phone

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Many people will buy from HD, they don't care if the job costs more, or that it will not have the same quality of craftsmanship, they can put it on their HD credit card and pay $200 a month for the rest of their lives for a window or a door job.

My Brother Inlaws mom bought Simonton windows from HD, their house was broken into and they had to buy a new window, she commented to me that HD charges an additional $200 per window if you buy less than 4, so I gave her a quote on the same window, the only difference is the Simonton windows I sell are supposedly of higher quality since HD has Simonton build windows to their specs to save money, any way, I was at about $560 installed for the window, HD was over $900, yet she went with HD because of warranty??

I informed her that the window I sold had a lifetime glass breakage warranty (It costs me $10 per window) and that no matter how the glass got broken that Simonton would send me a new sash and that I wouldn't charge her labor to change out the sash.

My Mother Inlaw had HD install Simonton windows, she paid over $12,000 did not do that bad of a job, but didn't do a great job either, I could of done them for her for 1/2 that and although I wouldn't have made any money, there would have been enough money to pay my installations costs, I don't care that she didn't call me but it makes you wonder what people think when they have people in their family that are licensed contractors, I think again the reason they went to HD is she can put it on a HD credit card and pay $200 a month for the rest of their life.

I don't push my services on family and friends, but when asked I always help them out, when I did my brother inlaws kitchen and windows, I only told him not to tell anyone how much it cost because I don't want his neighbors and friends trying to get a job installed at cost of materials only, he is a mechanic and has always helped out by working on my wifes van, so it works both ways.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
i dont work for family.:thumbsup:...anymore:w00t:
That is probably a good idea, but if my FIL or MIL would call me when they have a problem, in most cases like a capacitor or a leak in the wall, I would fix it and not even consider charging them for it.

My MIL just had a leak in her wall and called a plumber, I have fixed a few leaks for her in the past and would refuse money from her, once she gave me a check so I gave it to my wife, she is eventually going to have to repipe her house though, but she will call someone else and pay big bucks, but it is her money.

I do work for my mom and most cases I end up paying for everything, parts labor, etc.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damm my thread got hijacked. the point is really contractor/manufacture loyalty and how to remain profitable

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
damm my thread got hijacked. the point is really contractor/manufacture loyalty and how to remain profitable
Unfortunately the manaufacturer's as well as most business' only care about TODAY, they could care less about tommorow.

Trane is sold at HD now, I am an A/C Contractor as well, and I like Trane equipment, but I will not sell it, I sell American Standard instead.

I know HD started selling Trane because Lowes sells Carrier.

But I still don't like it.

HD and Lowes also sell Kraftmaid and I was (Guess I still am) a dealer for Kraftmaid, but the cabinets they sell are of a lower grade than the ones I sell, their all wood cabinets have 1/2" plywood sides, I can't even get that crap if I wanted to, my Kraftmaid boxes have 3/4" plywood sides.

Home Centers sell based on quantity, not quaility, people go into the home centers thinking they will save money but many times they don't and there are also a lot of complaints about the quality of the home centers quality of work by their clients.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
seems there ought to be a way to make large corps reconize dealers. as a total we have big numbers and can wag our own tails instead of the other way. how to organize effectively? is this even possible?

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
seems there ought to be a way to make large corps reconize dealers. as a total we have big numbers and can wag our own tails instead of the other way. how to organize effectively? is this even possible?
Get he dealers list and form an association.

One Voice, One Team, One Purpose.

Unity has clout.

Ed

·
Banned
66 Posts
HD charges a heck of alot more than 400 for an install;thats the "starting price". its always more and the HO never knows what sub they are going to get.i have everyone in my area scared to death to use HD and for good reason.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is There A Lesson Here?

Your lesson here is each post. Listen to what you are saying. HD does a better job marketing period. Why do you think the manufactures jump on the HD band wagon?

It's all about moving product! HD has financing so could you? HD markets every week, so could you!

But the one thing you all agree on is that you can install and service your client better. So why not start there and explain your story?

I would say that 50% of the time it's not about price? HD is able to get them into the store and they offer financing.

Yes advertising can be expensive but why not get 2-3 other contractors together and like Ed says and go after the big boys.

I bang heads everyday with HD and Lowes in my marketplace. But I am in there store constantly learning from them. In my area they have complaints up the wazoo on home improvements. I get those complaints and USE them to my favor.

I bought there windows and doors and cut them up to compare them to our products. I show my clients the difference and 62% of the time I get the sale.

Yes it's a pain in the butt, you can not let them take over your market. You need to be proactive to succeed and compete with them.

Look at Sears and remember how we had to butt heads with them for the past 20 years or so?

I used to love to walk in after the Sears salesman left. It was a shoe in for the sale. We had financing back then. I have financing now!

It's only when you sit back and talk about it and do NOTHING is how they win.

So do your homework and change your sales approach and you can compete. Your overhead is less and remember you can offer your client better install and service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts