Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Professional Remodeler
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who just purchased a house with some large casements. They are CXW-15 units, roughly 3 feet wide, 5 feet tall, single sash Andersens and in one room, 6 out of 6 have stripped hardware and do not operate at all. I have used Andersens for 35 years and love there products and I prob. would never put in such a large sash but... Does anyone have any insight into a remedy besides just ordering new hardware. Has there been any improvements, date code on windows is 11-97. Thanks

·
Cabinetmaker
672 Posts
Easiest thing I can think of is to replace the hardware. Rather than buying from lumberyard or Andersen PM me I will give you info where to buy direct from the mfg of the hardware. Also it will give me time to find it again LOL LOL.
Jack

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Check the handles

Before you write off the window mechanism ,see if the handles are just stripped. They are designed to strip if someone mistakenly tries to open a locked window. Get one good handle and install that (with the screw)

Usually that is the problem. MIKE

·
Registered
109 Posts
the actual mechanism is steal, the handles are aluminum, so the handles will strip before the "pinion" will. If the pinion is stripped, you're screwed.

As for improvements, not likely, the handles are still aluminum (if it's painted hardware). You could suggest replacing all of the handles with nicer brushed nickel finish or something, they have brass teeth inside which may hold up a little better than aluminum

·
Professional Remodeler
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skymaster, maybe you can post here a link for hardware direct from manufacturer. It will benefit me and all others who need it also. Thanks again. jeff

·
Registered
851 Posts
Easiest thing I can think of is to replace the hardware. Rather than buying from lumberyard or Andersen PM me I will give you info where to buy direct from the mfg of the hardware. Also it will give me time to find it again LOL LOL.
Jack
ummmm no. amerock manufactures the operators for the andersen factory. they also carry a 10 yr warrenty so they should get them for free. Two things to look for on that install is windows set out of square thus putting too much stress on the operator, or the screws under the stops may be missing again putting too much stress on the operator. Have the homeowner give the factory the date codes off the glass.

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
I have almost 6' casements in my house and I have no problems.

The reason your customer having problems is for lack of maintenance, the glides must be cleaned for smooth operation. They used force to crank them open and stripped the hardware.

If you lucky you can get hardware replacement free of charge, if not, tell your customer to cough up some money and charge them for replacement.

·
DN Construction
179 Posts
most likely the gears inside too a crap. they get worn down after repeditive use with no grease. its pretty cut and dry to see what happened either the handle or the gear. Keep the tracks clean and greased and there will be no problems at all!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts