Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No vinyl. No aluminum. Fibrex, pultruded fiberglass, wood, low-e-4 glass, U-values in the range of 0.28.

Prefinished wood interiors offered. Fibrex prefinished exterior trim offered.

I can get all this by reading the catalog, and the product presentation certainly is good.

But how do they look for real? How do they install? How is pricing as compared to 400 series?

What do you think of the exterior trim options?

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did I say the DH A-Series had a u=0.28? I don't think so, and I did not edit my original post.

On p. 82 of my catalog, they are showing 0.28 for A-series casement and awning windows, when not done with grilles, and with their low-E4 and low-E4 Smartsun glazing. DH at 0.30 and 0.29 for the same glazings, respectively.

If they introduce triple-glazing in this product line, this year as promised, there will be some nice improvements in performance.

A client of mine for whom I did his plans and specs, built using windows by Thermotech Windows of Ottawa, Ontario. Pultruded glass frames, foamfilled, triple glazing, high performance coatings on both outer lites, intert gas fill was something other than argon. Amazing performance. Stand next to his floor-to-ceiling windowscape on a day when it is -10 and blowing outside, and there is none of that cold wall sensation you get if the windows were doubleglazed.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Not an Andersen fan at all. Thier "fibrex" is really a wood flour with plastic resin, like a trex. It's not, repeat NOT a pultruded fiberglass,

They're not going to make a TP. That's noting more than a rumor which comes and goes every so often

·
Banned
556 Posts
Andersen is definitely not coming out with TP. also, Infinity by Marvin are NOT coming out with TP either. thats another rumor i hear every so often.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love Anderson windows! :thumbsup:

There easy to replace and there is thousands of them out there! Last year they were the most replaced window with our company. (no joke) I really hope guys keep installing them, job security for me...lol :laughing:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I love Anderson windows! :thumbsup:

There easy to replace and there is thousands of them out there! Last year they were the most replaced window with our company. (no joke) I really hope guys keep installing them, job security for me...lol :laughing:

They do provide job security for us replacement guys:clap:

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Last year they were the most replaced window with our company."

So then, what brand are you recommending as the replacement?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
"Last year they were the most replaced window with our company."

So then, what brand are you recommending as the replacement?

What material do you prefer? Wood, Vinyl. Fiberglass, Composite?

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aluminum. Wonderful strength and durability. Coated properly, the finish outlasts that on all other substrates. Energy-wise, though, they stink.

And I am no shill for Andersen. Just asking for feedback on their newest product line.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Aluminum. Wonderful strength and durability. Coated properly, the finish outlasts that on all other substrates. Energy-wise, though, they stink.

And I am no shill for Andersen. Just asking for feedback on their newest product line.

For vinyl: I recommend Gorell, Soft lite, Okna, and Sunrise

Composite: Okna-Starmark

Wood and Fiberglass: Marvin

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We're off track here. What do you know about the A-Series Andersens?

Looks as if you are in the replacement window biz. Night and day difference between "prime," or what those in manufacturing replacement windows call new construction windows, and those for replacement.

What is your take on the Renewal by Andersen line? I see from their website they've a showroom in Fishkill. Renewals are largely made with their extruded Fibrex composite material.

Looks as if the Okna-Starmark product uses extruded cellular PVC, which is pretty much what Azek is. How do you find it handling dark colors?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
We're off track here. What do you know about the A-Series Andersens?

Looks as if you are in the replacement window biz. Night and day difference between "prime," or what those in manufacturing replacement windows call new construction windows, and those for replacement.

What is your take on the Renewal by Andersen line? I see from their website they've a showroom in Fishkill. Renewals are largely made with their extruded Fibrex composite material.

Looks as if the Okna-Starmark product uses extruded cellular PVC, which is pretty much what Azek is. How do you find it handling dark colors?

I know that they don't offer a TP and they're not a pultruded FG.

RBA is a good competitor with an average window. There's nothing wrong with Fibrex but it's nothing to brag about either.

I have no personal experience with the Okna-Starmark, but I do have many friends who love them. The frame is larger than many vinyl frames so you lose a lot of glass area

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i have yet to see any Andersen DH with a u-value of .28. the best i have seen was .30 with lowE 366.

No, the 400 will achieve a .28, I forget the glass package though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts