Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Wow and you're in snow load areas right? My alaska truss plant has all machine stressed lumber, best around. Too bad they wouldn't just sell it straight to me.

·
Super Moderator
29,370 Posts
Wow

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dngl said:
That's ugly :rolleyes: You guys don't paper behind the truss against the wall?
Some guys around here do. We don't normally. If water gets behind there, it will be in the garage attic. Either way, it's a big problem

·
Young-Guy Framer
551 Posts
We've had some nasty stuff, but I think that takes the cake. To think some guy actually saw that piece of lumber and decided it was a good idea to put it in the truss…

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some guys around here do. We don't normally. If water gets behind there, it will be in the garage attic. Either way, it's a big problem
That's true, a lot of the cookie cutter builders around here want paper behind every place were roof meets wall. One builder even wanted it behind lookouts :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've had some nasty stuff, but I think that takes the cake. To think some guy actually saw that piece of lumber and decided it was a good idea to put it in the truss…
I've been through the plant a couple times. Apparently it has the most technically advanced machine in Canada. It's actually pretty cool,

--the engineer forwards the file to the machine itself on the floor,

--When the machine operator starts a new house package, the computer tells him what pieces of lumber to put on the feed table. (eg, (7) 2x6x16 (10) 2x4x12 etc.. Once he's got it loaded, the machine self feeds and cuts each piece. Each piece is stamped with the job number, the member number and the truss ID number.

--The cut pieces are taken to the assembly table.

--This is where a lot of problems happen, the low wage assemblers are responsible to assemble the individual members in the right place., then set the jig pins to make duplicates.

--Then the table itself will roll the gang nails on..(top and bottom)

The problem is sometimes the guys slap the pieces together too fast and there is not a good fit or a piece is on a slight off angle. Which causes a hump or dip.:censored:

overall I really like the guys that run the place. Good service. When I need to modify or repair a truss (or I joist) I literally call the engineer personally and get it resolved in minutes. He even emails me the updated drawing/stamped repair. The other day, I stopped in, and we designed a truss for a specific location in 5 minutes. (we didn't end up needing them)

But jeez, the quality control is bad. Sometimes I think they sit outside for too long too because a whole lift is sometimes warped the same way.
The big curve isn't a huge deal anyway, like I said I lay out every sheet anyway, so in the end each truss is perfectly straight.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
The problem is sometimes the guys slap the pieces together too fast and there is not a good fit or a piece is on a slight off angle. Which causes a hump or dip.:censored:
Been that way for decades. Sucks, great to post a really bad truss to vent .... but gotta deal with it. Make sure the supplier knows how jacked it is.

The OP's problem, looks like it'd need a block or two to pull it straight. Muscling the bow with sheeting to center, :censored: may pull nails out :laughing: Hell it may have been straight and took off onsite.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,877 Posts
It's wood. What do you expect? If it was engineered lumber then you could be upset.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I guess the method behind laying out each truss is dependant on the first truss you are hooking being straight...
I laid out each truss as i sheeted the roof friday.. first truss was straight... trusses still look weird underneath.:mad:
We find it better to pull layout of the sheet vs the truss. that way even if one truss gets off a bit the rest are layed out off the sheet not the bad truss.. hope i explained that right

1 - 20 of 37 Posts