Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how far O.C. anchor bolts are supposed to be? It's been a while since I've done any framing, and I've got a garage to build next month. BTW, I'm in CT. Thanks

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Does anybody know how far O.C. anchor bolts are supposed to be? It's been a while since I've done any framing, and I've got a garage to build next month. BTW, I'm in CT. Thanks
We start 6" in from the corner and then 24" O.C.

Or we use Titan bolts (They are like a big Tapcon), the same layout but can be put in after the concrete is cured.

But I am in Florida so it may not be applicable to where you are.

·
Pro
506 Posts
depends on where you are in CT. Local codes supersede national so check with your local building department. Thickness also varies. For instance nassau/suffolk counties in new york have been hurricane zones for several years now - our anchor bolts are 5/8". 6"-12" off corner and then spaced depending on locality. Depends on design wind load and height of building. Anywhere from two to four feet on center.

·
Super Moderator
10,596 Posts
Pretty sure here in Ohio, 12 inches in from the corners, then every 6 feet. Seems its different everywhere so hows about telling us where you are.

·
Design Build
6,102 Posts
12" in from corner then 4' oc is standard. Then the engineers get involved. I did a 5 story condo in Ocean Shores, WA built to 130+ MPH wind loads. The anchor bolts were 5/8" at 10" oc for the entire north side wall. It was insane.

Then you add hold downs for all openings, etc.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
24 from corner and 6 ft o.c is the standard around these parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts