Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Can someone just give me one little break ??:censored:

Luckly, I don't care about this market. Let the hacks and the low bidders go to town. Mostly likely the same guys that signed up for Lowes, HD, Sears, Home Advisor and so forth will check into this too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks like odds and ends. Around here it's tough to get a ceiling fan hung or toilet swapped. Both require a permit, I doubt that is included though. I don't see amazon dealing with all that headache and call backs.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Can someone just give me one little break ??:censored:

Luckly, I don't care about this market. Let the hacks and the low bidders go to town. Mostly likely the same guys that signed up for Lowes, HD, Sears, Home Advisor and so forth will check into this too.
Wouldn't be surpirsed if they become a major player. Ease of use. As mentioned before, wholesale prices are readily available to the general public already. The key is how this whole program is implemented. If it goes smoothly, all kinks are ironed out.... uh-oh

This internet thing is a two edged sword. Time will tell.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
So is Amazon going to have contractors go out and bid the jobs are just pay a flat rate and send out company ABC to do the job?

Well I can tell you from experience with consumers buying off of Amazon, it's not going to work in some cases. Example. Consumer contacted me to hook up a spa heater he bought from Amazon. I normally say no and move on. This time I decided to try it. Well when I got there there were to many things wrong and I walked away.

Things wrong:

Gas line needed to be extended 24" - not in the original scope of work.
Heater too close to pump and needs to move 24" as well. - Not in original scope of work.
Pump not hooked up to electric. Needs to be for me to test heater. - Not in the original scope of work.

So how would this work with Amazon subing the work out? They have no idea if there are extenuating circumstances or not. Just like Angie's List where customer takes picture of work needing to be done. You can't see some of the things from a picture. You go in thinking it's a simple ceiling fan replacement but you find out the wiring is bad or the wrong box was used initially. Now you have to change the scope of work. Were as had they had a contractor come out and bid the job and actually look at it, they would see these things.

·
Registered
761 Posts
This is the continuation of the lowest price possible for the consumer. The wallmartification of the consumers dollar.

Everyone is american works very hard for their dollar so they wish to make the dollar buy two toilets instead of one. Who cares about quality, warranty, and service. The american consumer wants more for less. Amazon is answering the call.

Companies like amazon and the rest of them, are attempting to sell the product and the service as low as possible. Who cares if you make a profit or a fair wage, as long as these companies make 10-20% profit off the install they could care less about service.

These service companies will tell a consumer that they can have their toilet installed for 110.00, I probably get 75 of that 110. I receive a call to install a toilet and tell the customer it will be 220.00 to install the toilet, they say amazon is installing toilets for half that, now amazon and the big box stores are setting industry rates for us.

The problem that these massive corporations don't understand is that repair work, handyman work, and contracting are all based on communication, service, and quality. Big box stores understand none of these concepts since they work off a low wages and low prices for low quality. They will fail because our business is based on communication, but there will be the people out there who continue to see low prices and the ability to touch a button and have a service provided for them.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So is Amazon going to have contractors go out and bid the jobs are just pay a flat rate and send out company ABC to do the job?

Well I can tell you from experience with consumers buying off of Amazon, it's not going to work in some cases. Example. Consumer contacted me to hook up a spa heater he bought from Amazon. I normally say no and move on. This time I decided to try it. Well when I got there there were to many things wrong and I walked away.

Things wrong:

Gas line needed to be extended 24" - not in the original scope of work.
Heater too close to pump and needs to move 24" as well. - Not in original scope of work.
Pump not hooked up to electric. Needs to be for me to test heater. - Not in the original scope of work.

So how would this work with Amazon subing the work out? They have no idea if there are extenuating circumstances or not. Just like Angie's List where customer takes picture of work needing to be done. You can't see some of the things from a picture. You go in thinking it's a simple ceiling fan replacement but you find out the wiring is bad or the wrong box was used initially. Now you have to change the scope of work. Were as had they had a contractor come out and bid the job and actually look at it, they would see these things.
Exactly, there are so many factors at work here. Least of all the homeowner already buying the service - which in some cases they then feel that a) you need to be at their home that very moment and b) no matter what you had better be able to fix their problems no matter the circumstances

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.