Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No no I didn't build it. It has me thinking but no. I belong to a Rumford group on facebook where it was posted.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is one of those things where I realize how far I still have to go. Like that twisted arch. Just skill like I'm really not interested in chasing lol.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
dang

compound curves as well. Do you know if he laid it up against a centre or if he used string, or a reverse?

Just a question for thie of you who do a lot of outdoor fireplaces. Do you use heatstop 50 for the firebox even if it will be covered like that one is? Or do you use normal water soluble fireclay

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dang

compound curves as well. Do you know if he laid it up against a centre or if he used string, or a reverse?

Just a question for thie of you who do a lot of outdoor fireplaces. Do you use heatstop 50 for the firebox even if it will be covered like that one is? Or do you use normal water soluble fireclay
I dont know how he built it. I would imagine he used sorcery.

I would use the 50.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
I would guess by eye, how else would you layout the compound curves. As for the mortar, it is like pulling teeth to get these guys to use Heatstop on outdoor fireplaces/firepits instead of the water soluble ones. Part of the problem, of course, is my lack of knowledge on how to explain in Spanish, and part is just they either do not give a crap (and want to save 3 dollars) or are old and set in their ways and use straight fireclay.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
dang

Clay/Portland in the ones I've done.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Look close, its elliptical.

Jb i counted the brick at the top course as well as low to the fire as posible tostill count and it's the same. If so the rear wall is plumb?

Also it looks like a segemental curve not eliptical but regardless the main reason some like rounded backs is to help keep the smoke in the center so the plume will burn the smeke hence a cleaner rumford. This is only done on slanted backs because they [straight back advocates] claim smoke disperses wider as it ascends up the slated back which also widens as it rises forward more.

For looks and being outside and [no need for dampening excess draft down to save heat] its fine but not at all compatable with any vortex roll when draft pauses for whatever reasons.

If the back is leaned forward I don't pick it up from the pic nevertheless it would be a heat waste if done inside a home.

read this it's help explain a bit. http://www.flowsafe.net/functioning_of_FH.pdf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts