Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I toured a gypsum plant years ago and I remember before we went our into the plant they took our group into an office with a whiteboard where the plant foreman showed us an illustration of the gypsum mineral under a microscope and illustrated how the mineral was different than any other. He showed us how when the mineral becomes fluid it will if left alone begin to grow back together to reform and solid. which is why gypsum is the rock they use to make sheet rock.

Now that is fascinating and I wonder if any of you have seen that process illustrated either in a slideshow or an animated movie somewhere. I think it would also be fascinating to our customers who might think gypsum is just a dumb rock.

Thanks, hope to here from you.

Michael

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I'll look around for you

Many minerals form from liquid. Gypsum is a evaporate, which dissolves in water. Other evaporates include minor limestones, salt, borax and others. The formation of a crystal nucleating to a point from a hydrous medium is not specific to gypsum.

AW
BS Geology

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Wow! I remember touring Plank Road Brewery. That was really cool too!

Really........38 yrs of doing this stuff and I never knew that. Been invited to tour plants but never did. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everybody, I toured a gypsum plant years ago and I remember before we went our into the plant they took our group into an office with a whiteboard where the plant foreman showed us an illustration of the gypsum mineral under a microscope and illustrated how the mineral was different than any other. He showed us how when the mineral becomes fluid it will if left alone begin to grow back together to reform and solid. which is why gypsum is the rock they use to make sheet rock.

Now that is fascinating and I wonder if any of you have seen that process illustrated either in a slideshow or an animated movie somewhere. I think it would also be fascinating to our customers who might think gypsum is just a dumb rock.

Thanks, hope to here from you.

Michael
Hmmm, but so does flour when mixed with water. Ive seen gypsum crystal in our museum and it really was impressive. Not sure how the crystal gypsum and the rock gypsum look so diffrent?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts