Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just completed removing popcorn ceilings and tomorrow I will attempt to texture the ceiling.

I just purchased a Lowes Homax texture gun and being an avid DIY'r -- I'm bit hesitant about going about it. :confused:

My question is: what sort of compoud is best for ceiling texture (knockdown style)?

AND

Do I need to primer first or just spray?

Thanks, :Thumbs:

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you've got the compressor already, you should have just bought a hopper gun and shot the texture with that. Does that rig you got have a hopper that feeds the mud to it or what? The Marshalltown featured on this page is what we use for small remodel jobs where it's just a room or two http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/Drywall_Hopper_Guns.php That Goldblatt at the top of the page looks like a nice one too.
We use light joint compound (blue bucket lid or box) thin it down with water and mix very well with your drill and mixer paddle. I recommend using a 1/2" drill, you'll burn up a smaller one if you're not careful. ;) You vary the texture pattern by adjusting the size of tip on your sprayer and by the amount of coverage that you put on the wall. Practice on some scrap before you start for real in the house, after the mud is sprayed allow it to dry for a few mins, like 15 or so maybe a bit more depending on how wet the spray is and the existing conditions (wet humid weather takes a bit longer) once it's dried a bit use a wide drywall knife to knock-down the texture. Once it's dried overnight, go over it real lightly with a sanding pole to finish getting the crumbs off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice - I primed the ceiling (took forever) and sprayed a few different settings and a scrap piece of rock. I went in with the intension of a knockdown but standing back it looked great without knocking it down.

I'f I change my mind tomorrow can I still use a pole sander to knock it down?

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's a done deal now, only way to change the look at this point would be to sand it off and start fresh. We do a lot of splatter texture, as long as you don't use too heavy of coverage it looks very good in many applications. Ulimately it's a matter of personal taste, if it looks good to you as the customer, home owner, then it is good. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts