Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
cnm
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!
Customer stated that Unit quit working on heat mode. Went to inspect and found board flashing code one which is lockout. Set thermostat to call for heat on 72 degrees with interior temp around 62 degrees, went back to unit and pulled fuse block, checked burners, igniter and valve for any obstruction, i.e. spider webs, bugs, etc. and reinserted, induction motor started, blower started, and igniter tried to ignite 3 times with no success, pulled fuse block and reinserted all same things happened again except igniter went click, then a 30 seconds or so go by and click did this three times then bzzzzzzz ignited. Waited so as to experience what costumer stated, about thirty min later unit shut off by itself immediately tried to reignite 3 times with no success so lock out code was present on pcb, roll out test ok, vacuum test ok, pulled fuse block and reinserted, induction motor started, blower started, and igniter tried to ignite 3 times with no success, pulled fuse block and reinserted all same things happened again except igniter went click, then a 30 seconds or so go by and click did this four times then bzzzzzzz ignited. Unit ran for 10 min or so then I left, customer called next morning and said unit cycled twice then @ some point during the night quit working, went back out to verify PCB had no bugs behind it and that ground wire was not touching PCB.

Note one year ago installed upgrade kit PCB wiring etc...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Help!!
Customer stated that Unit quit working on heat mode. Went to inspect and found board flashing code one which is lockout. Set thermostat to call for heat on 72 degrees with interior temp around 62 degrees, went back to unit and pulled fuse block, checked burners, igniter and valve for any obstruction, i.e. spider webs, bugs, etc. and reinserted, induction motor started, blower started, and igniter tried to ignite 3 times with no success, pulled fuse block and reinserted all same things happened again except igniter went click, then a 30 seconds or so go by and click did this three times then bzzzzzzz ignited. Waited so as to experience what costumer stated, about thirty min later unit shut off by itself immediately tried to reignite 3 times with no success so lock out code was present on pcb, roll out test ok, vacuum test ok, pulled fuse block and reinserted, induction motor started, blower started, and igniter tried to ignite 3 times with no success, pulled fuse block and reinserted all same things happened again except igniter went click, then a 30 seconds or so go by and click did this four times then bzzzzzzz ignited. Unit ran for 10 min or so then I left, customer called next morning and said unit cycled twice then @ some point during the night quit working, went back out to verify PCB had no bugs behind it and that ground wire was not touching PCB.

Note one year ago installed upgrade kit PCB wiring etc...
How old is the furnace? There has been a history of problems with the control boards on furnaces that were manufactored in the early 2000,s

·
cnm
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Note one year ago installed upgrade kit PCB, wiring etc...
That means that I replaced the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) in November 2007, Unit was built in 1990 I presume because of the Model # but wasn't installed till 1996 or 1997 per customer. (Don't know how good there memory is).

Update!!!
The unit came out of lockout by its self and refired with me present. Customer stated that heat was off for over 4 hrs. Did find rusty connector on gas valve, cleaned female connector best I could. Unit fired back up ran for three cycles per cust and quit.

·
cnm
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old is the furnace? There has been a history of problems with the control boards on furnaces that were manufactored in the early 2000,s

Note one year ago installed upgrade kit PCB, wiring etc...
That means that I replaced the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) in November 2007, Unit was built in 1990 I presume because of the Model # but wasn't installed till 1996 or 1997 per customer. (Don't know how good there memory is).

Update!!!
The unit came out of lockout by its self and refired with me present. Customer stated that heat was off for over 4 hrs. Did find rusty connector on gas valve, cleaned female connector best I could. Unit fired back up ran for three cycles per cust and quit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts