Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, im a siding roofing windows contractor in MA/CT.
Im pretty new to this site , been reading a lil trying to find how much other ppl charge for a roof, no luck obviously hehehe.... anyways i charge around 100$ for a one layer tear off 8:12 and under no ply simple roof. around 175$ for 3 layer tear off and ply again assuming its a siple walkable roof. Am i underbidding ?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
You're never going to get an answer to that type of question. I'll answer you in a way that you can determine it yourself. Are you getting more than 80% of the jobs you bid just on price alone? If you are, yes, you are underbidding.

·
Super Moderator
10,660 Posts
Check your local craigslist. Those guys can't wait to answer questions like that. Just call 33 of the craigslist "roofers" and invite them out to give you a bid on a job you are bidding on. Can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hehehe... all right all right . thanks all.
i understand noone can really answer that but myself just dont wanna work for dirt cheat and at the same time dont wanna lost jobs cuz there not many right now.
and i get around 50% of jobs i bid so i guess im underbidding.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
hehehe... all right all right . thanks all.
i understand noone can really answer that but myself just dont wanna work for dirt cheat and at the same time dont wanna lost jobs cuz there not many right now.
and i get around 50% of jobs i bid so i guess im underbidding.
you should be charging tree fiddy a square, double if they want W/C.

·
Roofer with a vision :)
232 Posts
you are underbidding!

going rate around here is 350-400 for 1-2 layers of under 8 pitch no crazy stuff roofs... skylights calculated separately

NOW, i don't install asphalt shingles but have friends and also know what competition charges... the 350-400 could be slightly off, but gives you the range...

figure 100 for materials, less dumpster, gives you about $200.. ok, maybe $150... but not 100 as u charge...

this also depends on where in CT/MA u work... Springfield/Worcester should be closer to 100-150 for labor, whereas Boston - $200 is ok. Not sure about Hartford area, but imagine it is somewhere between Boston and Worcester...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't understand why pricing is such a hard discussion to have. I'll say this - it seems you guys in MA are getting about $100 more than I'm getting here in FL.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i live in springfield . and the price i stated was labor only . guess im moving to boston :thumbsup:
a lot of sompetition in boston area?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts