Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a light bathroom remodel, paint, toilet, vanity, sink. As well as some other items around the house. I get under the vanity close the faucet valves and then I undo the cold a little stiff but no problem. Then I get the channel locks on the hot pipe nut. Little pressure to turn and then niagra falls of boiling water starts hitting me in the face.
I though maybe I had turned the valve full open instead of closed so I am trying to turn it. The whole time water coming at me full force and getting hotter.
Theres water everywhere, I shout to my guy to run and hit the shutoff in the basement.
So what had happened was the stub out, which was the threaded kind had snapped behind the shut off when I applied pressure.
I know I could have had the main water shut off in the first place. I could have had a second set of channel locks holding the valve to stop the twisting pressure.
Just wanted to see what you guys think ?
Oh the water ended up draining through the ceiling in the kitchen, so I pushed some holes in it to get it out quick then ran the vac in reverse to blow out whatever was left, there was alot of water.
I have told my customer that although I don't think it was my fault. I do take responsibility for the damage and will do what ever is needed, even if I have to sheetrock the kitchen ceiling, although I am hoping I will just need to patch the holes I poked to let out the water.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,877 Posts
How can you think this wasn't your fault? You were the direct cause of the water damage. Just because the valve was faulty doesn't make it anyone else's fault. It may have been totally out of your control, but it is still your problem. Call your insurance adjuster and have him come by and evaluate the damage.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
I think fault is unimportant at this point and taking responsibility is.
Ill bet since you got on it quick with the holes and the vac that youll probably just have to Kilz the ceiling and patch the holes....

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
When you felt the nut was being stubborn you should have stopped.

Stop, think, analyze.

When in doubt, err on safety.

Get your lazy azz up, run downstairs, shut off main, drain the line. Go back, analyze. 2 pliers sounds about right.

If you undid the nut, then felt that maybe something gave/snapped, get your helper to turn on the main while you stay there with a bucket and a sponge.

OFCOURSE IT'S YOUR FAULT...what are you thinking?

Then you tried to "blow the water back"?

Bet you were nervous...that'll learn ya!

You made a mistake, now you have to pay for it. We all make mistakes amigo, it's important you go back analyze what you did wrong, suck it up, pay for it, move on and learn.

You dodging responsibility on this will get you nowhere quick. The fact that you told the HO's that you don't think it was your fault has already lost you vital credibility. Tsk tsk. Man up, next time think with your head.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Take responsibility. It will show your integrity. If you take care of the issue, it will reward you personally as well as professionally in the goodwill you will create by proving you are a stand up guy.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Either that or, blame it on the Chupracabre!!
:w00t:

Hey, I had to screw up TWO bad shut off valves before I learned my lesson. That is why plumbers make the big bucks, my man. The little bit extra (in the big picture) you'd spend having a plumber do the plumbing, you would NOT be in this situation right now.

Let's hope you only screw up ONE shut off valve before you learn your lesson. ;)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you guys see this sentance in my first post.

"I have told my customer that although I don't think it was my fault. I do take responsibility for the damage and will do what ever is needed,"

I am of course going to fix the ceiling in the kitchen, at no cost and what ever else is needed.

I was so angry at myself, I have done alot of bathrooms and never had a stub out just snap. I guess I was in denial, that it was completely my fault.
Maybe just looking for a shoulder to cry on :laughing:
Not looking to get out of anything, my companies integrity means more than sheet rocking a ceiling out of my pocket.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts

"I have told my customer that although I don't think it was my fault. I do take responsibility for the damage and will do what ever is needed,"
I saw it, but if I was your client I'd be thinking "you're damn straight you will take care of it because it IS your fault, so quit bitching"

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts

I am of course going to fix the ceiling in the kitchen, at no cost and what ever else is needed.

I was so angry at myself, I have done alot of bathrooms and never had a stub out just snap. I guess I was in denial, that it was completely my fault.
Maybe just looking for a shoulder to cry on :laughing:
Not looking to get out of anything, my companies integrity means more than sheet rocking a ceiling out of my pocket.
Sounds like you are doing the right thing.
That's all you can do and consider it a learning experience.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Come on JF you could be little easier on me than that.
I was not bitchen to my client, I was embarrassed, the HO must have agreed with me that it was not all my fault and maybe, just maybe unforeseable accident due to maybe a faulty stub out, actually once all the water stoped I looked at it and it was corroded from the inside.
I was not heaving on the pipe I turned it with regular force when it let go.
I am taking this one as a lesson that will cost me a few bucks, from know on I am turning the main off for anything.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts