Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find clarification in the California ccl book.

I'd like to saave the client money.
I don't want to screw myself.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It's not really clear what you mean, but if the permit is under your name, then you are responsible for the results. If they are working for you, they are either subs or employees.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Are you talking about pulling a permit for a bunch of work and the HO is going to have different companies do some of the work without your supervision? That sounds like a bad idea to me. What happens if you can't get a final because they got a red tag? Are you willing to lose that payment?

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Are you talking about pulling a permit for a bunch of work and the HO is going to have different companies do some of the work without your supervision? That sounds like a bad idea to me. What happens if you can't get a final because they got a red tag? Are you willing to lose that payment?
I figured that was what he was talking about. He is probably find a job abd the home owner it's also hiring contractors to compete certain aspects of the job.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You should also read up on OSHA's multi-employer work place laws as well. If you are the general, you are responsible for the safety of everyone working there. Except in Utah.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I had attempted to post a thorough explanation of the situation several times but for some reason I was getting an error when I would try to post it. When I shortened the question the post posted. It was probably because I was also logged in on the CT app when I initially tried to post.

Moving forward...
I am a General, the work I am performing falls under my C-8.

The other contractor/trade is a D class. They are NOT subs or employees of mine. I have a contract with the customer only for just my scope of work. The other guys will not be doing any work within what my contract's scope of work states. I am not sure if these guys have a contract with the owner.

My company and the other contractor are not contractually bound. I don't know the details/agreements between the customer and the other contractor.

I was told by the building department that I could not pull a permit for just my scope of work. I thought this was odd.

The building dept. said I had to pull one for the whole project so that's what I thought I pulled.

After the plans went through plan check, I was notified the permit INDEED was just for my scope of work.

The city said an additional permit is needed for the portion of the project that I won't be doing unless I say I want to pull a permit for the whole project even though I am not subbing out. The customer is going to have to pay for another permit then wait for the other guys to pull a permit and go through the plan check process which will be news to him since I relayed info from the city stating otherwise. I do not like changing what I said but obviously the BD relayed incorrect info. to me.

In an effort to help the customer out with completion dates and the new unknown costs I was curious If I would have any liability for the other guy's work if he did it under my permit.

Pretty much what I'm talking about here. This is a commercial project. The other company has not done anything yet in regards to pulling any permits.

My contract states I am to receive a check upon completion of my scope of work but my understanding is that there are certain stipulations that may over-ride contracts. I am posting here to find out if my contract could be voided if others perform work under my permit.

After I complete my scope of work are you suggesting my final payment could be delayed because of something outside of my contract was not done by another responsible entity because the entirety of the project's permit was under me? sorry for the run-on.

This is not the way I would have set the project up obviously. Being the customer had contacted the other guy before me I did not have a choice in signing for the whole project then subbing the other portion out. With the above being said I have never encountered this unorthodox situation which is why im asking.

Hopefully this post is a little more clear.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
819 Posts
i would let the other contractors pull their own permits for their scopes of work....

if the same permit needs to be pulled for multiple companies so be it

·
Super Moderator
24,694 Posts
ask the other parties involved to use vaseline...:whistling:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts