Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 3 foot deep trench that I need to get footings formed up in this week. My concern is that there's a primary line, 7200 volts, about 6" under the bottom of the trench, and there's a good 4" of water in there. We're still waiting for the power company to run a new line, so eventually this will be dead, but currently it's live. Am I safe working in there or might I get bbq'ed?

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I can't believe the POCO is letting you put footings OVER a live line anyway ( I know you can't put it under it either and still accomplish your goal, lol...but still). Did you clear this with them?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we've cleared everything with the powers that be. The POCO is aware of what's happening. They're just taking their sweet time running a new line. We know its under there cause we hit it once with the excavator. Oops.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I would stay away from it, from here on you are at the mercy of the POCO and their schedule. Would i jump in a ditch with water and a live line under that which you already hit with a machine, hell no!!! I think you have pushed your luck already. Are you a gambling man?

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
pschieuer said:
Yeah, I already know its a scary number of volts, I don't wanna know how many amps. I'm gonna toss a pump in there to get the water out, but even then, with mud, how dangerous is it to be working a few feet away from this? I suppose I could toss a cat in there and see what happens....
Hahahaha I like the cat idea.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
pschieuer said:
Yeah, I already know its a scary number of volts, I don't wanna know how many amps. I'm gonna toss a pump in there to get the water out, but even then, with mud, how dangerous is it to be working a few feet away from this? I suppose I could toss a cat in there and see what happens....
You might need to toss the cat in ten times to be sure...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We've had multiple locates done. The problem was the line was around 18 feet down in places. There was a bunch of crap fill dumped here years ago after the line was buried, so the locates weren't very accurate. That, coupled with a really rammy excavator made for a few problems. The line was actually hit twice. The neighbors love us. Especially since theirs was the only cat I could find.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Not really on subject of electrocution, but since you are knowingly going over this line, you have no issue with installing the new footing onto fill conditions?

Back to the original subject, Yes, we are all going to die.
Good point. I thought the code was "on undisturbed earth"..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.