Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For thinking that the various people on this forum, whose business it is to sell marketing and promotion services to real contractors, are posting on these forums as a way of getting more business for themselves, rather than just sharing knowledge and opinions about contractors' isssues like the rest of us?

If that is what they are doing, with the expressions they use such as "many of the contractors we work with" and their website links proudly displayed in their signatures, are we OK with that?

Personally I am not, but I am interested to see what the other contractors here think about this subject.

It seems to me that a lot of what hey say is designed to attract further interest, it sounds like good advice, and quite often it is, but when that advice is coming from someone who sees us as customers rather that colleagues, that bothers me.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Shameless advertising I am not a fan of but if an industry professional is looking for feedback to be able to improve the products they supply us with I do not have a problem with it. I also know a few company representatives that were tradesmen before they got into sales and have alot of good knowledge to share.

If you are referring to the fact they have a bias in favor of their product I can understand your perspective but I have biases as well (that being said I'm a jerk in many regards). This is an internet forum and everything read must be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
John, i am with you, i do not appreciate trying to be sold anything by another CT member. As a moderator it is my job to ensure that everyone follows the rules as defined by the sites creator. There are many discussion that we have privately about our marketing members. they are monitored closely and we do our best to allow them to contribute without crossing the line. Please report any posts that you feel are not in the best interest of our community thanks. GMOD.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, you are a cynic!
But that does mean you are wrong.
These posted must make sure to not cross that line and I think the mods do a good job of watching that line.
I for one have found some of their posting good information. It is up to me if I hire them or not.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There are now over 1,000,000 "social media" consultants on Twitter. It's not easy going into the contracting business but ANYBODY can market themselves as SEO experts, business consultants, webmasters, social network experts, etc. The fact that there are swarms of these types here looking to bilk hard working contractors does not surprise me.

I wish we could scrape them off the bottom of our collective boots but they have insinuated themselves into all the construction forums and are looking for easy money.

I've done some research on some of the rascals that menace this forum and discovered these guys are trolling on hundreds of forums and blogs.

This is a forum for contractors. You don't see truck and tool vendors trolling here offering "advice". You don't see insurance companies or payroll service companies trolling here. But you do see this swarm of flies that are the marketeers and false hope promo consultants.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a forum for contractors. You don't see truck and tool vendors trolling here offering "advice". You don't see insurance companies or payroll service companies trolling here. But you do see this swarm of flies that are the marketeers and false hope promo consultants.
I must admit that that is the way I saw it too, but don't have Zinsco's turn of phrase.

I'm glad to see Genecarp and the other moderators are keeping an eye on these people, though I do wonder whether some of them are right on the edge of what is acceptable, having looked through the forum rules and the advertising rules, it seem the only people actually allowed to put links to websites in their signatures are contractors.

It's certainly up to each contractor whether he buys from these people or not, but it bothers me that these 'consultants' posting on these forums gives them a veneer of credibility that might attract people who aren't as cynical as me.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
It is on our radar screen and does not go unnoticed.

Right now it is a case by case situation and purely a judgment call. But I think we have a fair out look on the subject.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The best thing about these guys is that most of them like Sullivan, for instance offer really helpful advice. If you read what they're saying, and not just their printed words, but what they allude too, and put it into practice, your websites really start working for you.
My calls have gone way up implementing their tips.
As long as it isn't somebody just posting drivel and saying to 'Hire Me' for your leads or SEO, I'm fine with them. They get flagged in a hurry and the mods do a great job there.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
The quantiry and validity of Reported Posts goes a long way in the decision making process as an assistance to our eyes being on the look-out for them, but as Tinner said, learn from what is stated, just by expanding on the initial thought process a bit, even if it requires you to do some additional research.

Ed

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not sure they're any worse than the contractors who sign up here just to post a couple yes and no's and no real interest in the forum.
They just want their link to show up in another place on the web in hopes of getting more relevance and hits to their sites.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
It is on our radar screen and does not go unnoticed.

Right now it is a case by case situation and purely a judgment call. But I think we have a fair out look on the subject.
I happen to think we are adults. I also think there are a few "vendors" who have been very low key about their reason for being here. I personally have learned from them. I would hate to see a blanket rule made. We can complain, ignore or hammer (hammerings my preference):clap: the ones who don't get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts