Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a prehung door done today.
Problem 1:

The aluminum threshold has a minimum @1/16" gap between it and the rapid-setting cement threshold installed underneath and 1/16" rising to 3/16 for the last 7" of its run where the cement threshold is not level.

I need something to fill this gap. Across the 1/16" deficieny, I am thinking an epoxy, polyurethane or other compound shot underneath the aluminum might do. In the last 7" of the threshold were the gap widens to 3/16"-- and I fear weighted flexing may result in distortion of the threshold--my first notion is one of the fillers already mentioned supplemented by composite shims that the fillers fix in place.

My requirements for a filler are UV toleration and/or paintability, duration, waterproof and minimal flexibility.

Problem 2:

The outer lip of the rapid-setting cement sill where it thins from the main body of the pour shows numerous cracks as pictured. If I could just coat the sill with something to prevent its further deterioration and improve water resistance, I will. Any good ideas?

Through a tedious attack with a diamond saw and diamond grinder blades, I could try to cut back as much of the lip as possible to reach the "apparently" ( or at least comparably) sound main body of the pour. Note, without X-Ray vision, seeing through the cement sill is not going to work. If I could cut/grind/carefully break the unsound lip material away, a new lip of concrete could be poured in place of the removed material. Because the door and jamb are in place and obstructing my access, this will be a challenging task.

I know this entire situation is an abortion. The door is in place and
it isn't going anywhere. The installer is a friend. He screwed up and I'll fix this by effort and with your guidance. FYI, the brick landing is way off level, which makes everything level look wacky.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't touch masonry so if came across this job I would have probably chopped all that out then put a white oak sill in(the width of the brickmould), Then set the door on that.

At this point I'd still probably pull the door and do that or pull door and have a mason fix it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think you folks are on to something. Thanks to the insight of another, I see a solution here shifting. A kind contributor observed that the brick landing where the bad pour of rapid-set cement ended in an attachment had it spanning a joint from the garage slab making it liable to crack. Makes sense to me.

So, either the the overhanging lip of the aluminum threshold had to act as a drip edge (which it seems inadequately wide for) or something had to be placed atop an upright pour under the aluminum threshold to act as a drip edge. Trimchiree has suggested a white oak sill. It would be sturdy but not maintenance free. Plus, its thickness may require raising the header and door to accommodate it.

My first thought was a thick plastic. I looked at Azek but some complained about movement if not secured at intervals. Here, it would be trapped by the aluminum threshold and the concrete pour. Does anyone have a better candidate material perhaps thinner than a wooden sill that would work in the position under the threshold as a drip edge that would be stable, sturdy, durable and not require maintenance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts