Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to re seal my barn roof. The barn was built in early 70's and it has been resealed before, but it needs it again. The roof is a metal roof and I was wondering if there is a sealer that can be sprayed on instead of brushing on. The only sealer that I have been finding has a "fiber" product in it, and the containers say roll on or brush on application. I think it was made by Kool Seal.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would not use a fiber reinforced aluminum coating on the metal roof. As there are tons of elastomeric products on the market, start there. If it's 'just a barn' and you don't want to spend a ton of money, you could go with a very inexpensive product such as Henry Solarflex 287 which is sold at your local big box outlet. Kool Seal or Blackjack make a similar water based elastomeric. These products won't hold up on a commercial application (in my opinion) but will suffice for the do it yourself mobile home patch or barn seal. Use an elastomeric flashing grade mastic to seal all exposed fasteners prior to coating and after powerwashing. Don't use asphaltic mastic as it will cause a caustic reaction with the metal. Henry also makes an aluminum topcoat for the type of application you are looking for that will be nonfibered. Just go to a local roofing supply or even big box.

If you want a commercial grade system and want to spend the money...disregard the above and let us know. There are several contractors on here who apply seamless coating systems. Let us know and we can discuss that one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts