Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my last siding job I used a aluminum ladder. It only took about half an hour before my sweaty hands were black leaving fingerprints and smears all over the siding. I have seen this problem for years, it's obviously a reaction between the moisture and the aluminum. Soap and water works but who has time to wash their hands every half hour providing there's running water available at the job. Does anyone have any tricks, products or solutions in general to the problem?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
During my last siding job I used a aluminum ladder. It only took about half an hour before my sweaty hands were black leaving fingerprints and smears all over the siding. I have seen this problem for years, it's obviously a reaction between the moisture and the aluminum. Soap and water works but who has time to wash their hands every half hour providing there's running water available at the job. Does anyone have any tricks, products or solutions in general to the problem?
not working off ladders :laughing:

Although on our current job there are so many obstructions we have had to hang about 15sq off ladders :furious:

The only solution would be to wear some mechanics gloves

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not working off ladders :laughing:

Although on our current job there are so many obstructions we have had to hang about 15sq off ladders :furious:

The only solution would be to wear some mechanics gloves
Wearing gloves on a ladder in the summertime is a no go for this guy. :no:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
learn how not to put your dirty hands all over the panels
hold the siding by the top or bottom locks
use your finger tips on the bottom to lock up
grasp panels on the back side of the panels to pull out of the box
keep a clean rag on hand to wipe your hands periodically
theres no reason to have finger prints all over the panel

·
Registered
234 Posts
I always sent out a bottle of 409 and a couple rolls of towels with every job.
There isn't any way to keep all smudges off siding and it all needs wiped down as it's being installed especially on a hot muggy day.
I'm refering to vinyl siding not wood,

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I use a 12' step and then a 28' fiberglass warner ( alum is lighter but Im 220 pounds + toolbelt and alum spooks me that high)

another option is sand the rails and spray paint with krylon clear to seal the alum. should work for awhile

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
you have to be careful how and what you wipe down with
you can change how the siding ''weathers''
better to take the time not to get it dirty than to have to wipe it all down

·
Registered
234 Posts
you have to be careful how and what you wipe down with
you can change how the siding ''weathers''
better to take the time not to get it dirty than to have to wipe it all down
VSI has cleaning recommendations on their web page. I always followed their recommendations and included a copy of cleaning instructions in the homeowners packet. I think most companies have them on their warranty.
I never heard about cleaning vinyl causing it to weather wrong. Can you explain?
I agree that it's better not to get it dirty but if you're working in 95 degree weather with 90% humidity it's nearly impossible. Clean your hands and they're wet again in seconds.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
learn how not to put your dirty hands all over the panels
hold the siding by the top or bottom locks
use your finger tips on the bottom to lock up
grasp panels on the back side of the panels to pull out of the box
keep a clean rag on hand to wipe your hands periodically
there's no reason to have finger prints all over the panel
I agree tom that I could do a better job of being careful on handling the vinyl. With that said it's not a perfect world and there are times the siding doesn't want to lock or you lose your balance and palm the panel etc..

Hence my post. I just thought there might be a product or a trick out there that I didn't know about. Everything seems to be aluminium on a siding job and I've always ended up with black hands and smudges on the vinyl.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
some cleaners can leave a residue[detergents,bleach] that can affect the natural uniform weathering process,you have probably seen this but didnt realize what it was from

i do understand hands get dirty and sweaty,Ive learned its worth it at least for me to minimize hand prints,and by carefully handling the panel you can minimize them to a great extent.

I also learned to wear gloves,i use the thin nitrile ones with the little nubs on them,my hands sweat but the siding stays clean

this has worked for me, others might have more success wiping down the whole wall

·
Registered
488 Posts
Wearing gloves on a ladder in the summertime is a no go for this guy.
Lightweight white gloves about a dollar a pair work fine even in summer. If anyone is putting on light colored siding/soffit/aluminum on our jobs they are wearing gloves. Otherwise they get to stay after and clean off all the smudges on their own time. :eek: That takes care of that situation no problem!

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Paulie
even if you just use them when your handling equipment
you will have to clean the siding alot less:thumbsup:eek:nce you get used to
them you wont touch anything without them

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Lightweight cotton gloves is a great idea. I use them whenever I hang projector screens (White movie theater screens attract handprints like no one's business and they don't clean off!!!).

Dave

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
Tom got it right when he said learn how to handle the siding. Only touching the nailing fin and under the ridges of the laps will do wonders.

I love watching a new guy struggle with a double miter white trim board. You will see hand prints all over it where exerted so much effort getting it to fit.

It takes me 1/4 of the time and there's little to wipe off.

I can't do the gloves in the sun. White hands and tan arms is not the look for me. I wear them all winter though.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom got it right when he said learn how to handle the siding. Only touching the nailing fin and under the ridges of the laps will do wonders.

I love watching a new guy struggle with a double miter white trim board. You will see hand prints all over it where exerted so much effort getting it to fit.

It takes me 1/4 of the time and there's little to wipe off.

I can't do the gloves in the sun. White hands and tan arms is not the look for me. I wear them all winter though.
I am not new to siding.

I said I could probably do a better job handling it because there is always room for improvement for anyone.

I don't care how experienced you are, with dirty (aluminium) hands you're going to get smudges locking it in or handling it. I agree handling it on the nailing flange and experience reduces smudges but does not eliminate them.

I posted because I was wondering if there was a trick I didn't know about in regards to aluminium residue on hands.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
sorry Paulie i dont know,i get that stuff on me all the time:sad:it sucks doing it off ladders all day,im sure you do know how to handle siding with dirty hands,alot of guys dont,it seems like they dirty up every inch of the panel

at least its not dog crap:censored:

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I am not new to siding.

I said I could probably do a better job handling it because there is always room for improvement for anyone.

I don't care how experienced you are, with dirty (aluminium) hands you're going to get smudges locking it in or handling it. I agree handling it on the nailing flange and experience reduces smudges but does not eliminate them.

I posted because I was wondering if there was a trick I didn't know about in regards to aluminium residue on hands.
You took it the wrong way dude. Chill out.

We wipe everything off even if there's no smudges on it. It's what separates us from the other guy and gives that clean appearance when we are done.

Before we move the walk board up we wipe as we go.

Your not going to be able to go up ladders all day and keep you hands clean no matter what so deal with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts