Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Chris Johnson said:
It still only going to be a 1/2 ton pickup, payload will not increase
Payload will increase. The weight saved is then payload. It's revealed this week. It looks like a awesome truck. I heard the whole body is alloy but no one really knows what's on it. I'm looking forward to see what options it has but a whole alloy body is sweet.

The only bad thing is it will increase cost. Its already the most expensive 1/2ton. I think I heard $300 more over previous steel body.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
[QUOTE=BCConstruction;193128.

The only bad thing is it will increase cost. Its already the most expensive 1/2ton. I think I heard $300 more over previous steel body.[/QUOTE

If it truly is only $ 300 more it would be a gift,the life cycle would increase 5 fold.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Buy stock in their aluminum supplier...
Seems like it would be a good choice in snowy areas where rust is more of a concern.
Wish they made a smaller version. F-150 is too big around here with smaller streets and sparse parking options.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
If the truck is lighter, won't it have trouble controlling heavy loads and trailers? I think it is a cool idea, but am curious in how it actually performs.

I also wonder who has bought all the aluminum stock, knowing this was going to happen. :whistling

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm pretty sure motorcycles that are mostly aluminum still set off sensors in this area. Those things can't weigh but a few hundred pounds...

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
This news has been circulating around the FTE forum for quite some time...seems there's mixed reviews from some of the motor heads on the success of such an implementation.

Audi, Jaguar and Acura has been using Hydroform aluminum panels in there vehicles and I know their expensive as hell to fix.

Body shops will have to adjust to these repairs and I would expect insurance premiums to increase as well.

BTW...Invest in Alcoa as they'll be one of the main suppliers so I'm told :whistling

Aluminum may be the next gold if this starts taking off with other vehicle manufactures which it probably will ;)

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Payload will increase. The weight saved is then payload.
I don't think that's directly transferable as it's still using half ton axles, springs, tranny, etc. If one were to want some direct relationship, a steel alloy bed vs. alum bed weights would be more accurate and that's probably 4 bags of sand.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I don't think that's directly transferable as it's still using half ton axles, springs, tranny, etc. If one were to want some direct relationship, a steel alloy bed vs. alum bed weights would be more accurate and that's probably 4 bags of sand.
What ever weight it saved from accessories or options the truck has as payload. If the truck was 700lb lighter then that 700lb is allowed as payload. Same thing happens when you go from a 4wd to a 2wd. The truck is lighter so that weight lost due to going 2wd is allowable payload. rememeber payload is figured on your GVRW. if your truck was GVRW 7200lb and its weight was 7199lb you would only have 1lb payload or if it was a 5000lb truck it would have 2200lb payload.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts