Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer that needs a quick fix on a pivot door. The Pivot hinge went bad on the top. I ordered up some aluminum butt hinges that I can just install to the aluminum to the outside of the door and also another pivot install. I do not think I'll be able to install the pivot install do to the salt water corrosion fusing the aluminum. My thought is that I can install the butt hinges to the exterior aluminum on an outswing. I'm afraid that instead of the weight bearing on the bottom pivot hinge it'll now focus on the swing hinges and that could cause a problem.

Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Assume you are talking about a glass aluminum commercial storefront door? This problem is not unusual. A full glass door is a lot of weight on a couple little pivot hinges.
They make a surface mounted hinge kit to replace the pivots on worn out alum commercial glass doors but they look ugly. If you want it to look right a full replace is in order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assume you are talking about a glass aluminum commercial storefront door? This problem is not unusual. A full glass door is a lot of weight on a couple little pivot hinges.
They make a surface mounted hinge kit to replace the pivots on worn out alum commercial glass doors but they look ugly. If you want it to look right a full replace is in order.
Can you link me to an image of the surface mounted hinge kit. I'm curious if it's what I bought as I have the surface hinge kit and, if I can get it installed, pivot hinge kit.
Here is the surface hinge I bought https://www.homedepot.com/p/Global-Door-Controls-Deluxe-Aluminum-Hinge-Kit-TH1100-HK1-AL/203384269

I'd prefer to just install the surface hinge as it'll be really simple.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can you link me to an image of the surface mounted hinge kit. I'm curious if it's what I bought as I have the surface hinge kit and, if I can get it installed, pivot hinge kit.
Here is the surface hinge I bought https://www.homedepot.com/p/Global-Door-Controls-Deluxe-Aluminum-Hinge-Kit-TH1100-HK1-AL/203384269

I'd prefer to just install the surface hinge as it'll be really simple.
I always used a subcontractor for commercial glass doors. Go to your local glass shop that regularly installs these and they can hook you up.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
First I thought this was a swinging door in a restaurant kitchen --- you can get repl parts.

I've seen your method used. Ghetto fix I guess ?

At the box store get 4" sq edge --- ball bearing butt hinges.

I would tap threads in the alum. for machine screws and put some Locktite Blue on the threads.

Hope this helps ?

I see your hinges now -- could work -- I still would tap the alum. rails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts