Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the basy method for removal of bottom paint with remnants of barnacles on it? The barnacles have been scraped off leaving part where they were attached. The owner would like the barrier coat or primer whichever it is to stay on the boat. It is a yellowish green in color.
Any advise would be appreciated

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Bruce I have come across some baricles that were stuck to bottom paint. They are on there pretty good most of the time. A barrrier coat is fairly strong primer not as strong. I think whatever force you need to rid the barnicles might eliminate the coating too. I would tell them you can just try it and see. Would they want you to continue if it meant some bare spots or will you have to stop and be a complete waist of time? That's the question.

Thanks for the referal Bruce. I did the job on Friday. I have to hope he sends a check. He sounded quite nice I'm not too concerened. He really got hosed by the guy who painted it. They said they were putting a barrier coat and primer and bottom paint. What he did was no prep work, it was glossy smooth still. No primer, and a hard paint as apposed to an ablative bottom paint . The barrier coat is only for boats with blisters so that would have been the wrong thing to do any way.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I Meet with a boat company Monday…

I have a 60' Yacht, aluminum Haul.
The guy wants to take off paint and leave the primer
Told him that I didn't think it would work. Even with soda
I have had no luck just leaving the primer, it comes out spotty looking.

I think he will still have to sand and reprime, I thought glass down to the metal, leave a profile and re-prime new?

For what he is trying to save it material he will spend it labor and material any way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts