Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like an odd question. I am considering purchasing a co-op apartment in Manhattan which would need some renovations. While perusing furniture and fixture catalogues recently I came across a photo of an interior setting that used a fabulous looking dark colored (mahogany, perhaps) wood plank treatment on the floors AND walls! It looked spectacular and I was wondering if an engineered tongue-in-groove type wood flooring product could be used to create this effect.

It got me to thinking. Could wood flooring of this type be used to construct cabinetry (closet doors, kitchen cabinet doors, etc.) to make for matching components?

Sorry if this is a silly question but I thought maybe someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,

Artie

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Hey Artie,

I'm sure an engineered tongue-in-groove type wood flooring product would work. You just need to figure out the right way to mount it. Is this going up on drywall?

I once saw a house where they had a dark wood flooring on the floor and ceiling. It looked really cool and added a richness to the room.

-Nathan

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nathan,

Thanks for the reply. I, too, saw wood walls AND ceilings in some of the aforementioned photos.

If I were to try such an application it would be on drywall. Probably not on the ceilings though, as its a rather small space and I fear it might make the room look too confining. Perhaps the walls, about halfway up or maybe a 4 foot wide strip around the entire room with some blank space above and below.

Are there any special preparations that I would need to consider before starting such a project? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Artie

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use oak flooring strips to make face frames for cabinets.

It is readily available, fairly cheap, and just the right size to start with. I have never gone around putting nails in it, but if you want that Industrial look, I guess you could play with it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Oddly, I have never thought of this but it is a very good idea.
You will never get away with ogee type doors but could slide with many types of flat panels as long as you used solid rails and stiles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts