Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
597 Posts
Alternative to Microsoft office?
is there such a thing?
Google Drive is free and does most everything office does.
Last year I replaced my 2016 version of Project and office with 2019 version. I bought a combo pack ... 2019 Office Professional Plus + Ms Project 2019 Pro + Visio 2019 Pro and got all three for $20.
Current price is $29.99

Reactions: mohammad hopper

·
Registered
Remodeler / Builder
413 Posts
Google docs is a common alternative. Don't really care for web based software though and I find their products pretty limited. I have been burned too many times by Google and other's discontinuing their SAAS products to have any trust in them.

There's Libre Office, which is a decent free alternative with similar functionality to MS Office.

In the end, I think it's best to just bite the bullet and use the desktop versions of MS Office. It's widely supported and isn't going anywhere. I think I'm still on 2016 I picked up at an old corporate discount offered by the company I used to work for.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely want some thing that’s download onto the computer rather than Web bass, libre office looks like some thing I will give a test drive to, thanks guys

Reactions: hdavis

·
Design Build
10,994 Posts
I pay for Microsoft 365 for my business and my wife’s business. It’s a family pack, 5 or 6 users I think. It downloads all of Microsoft Office products To desktop and mobile.

$99 / year

28 cents per day to be compatible with most people out there.

·
Registered
Remodel
35,707 Posts
Yup, MS Office is subscription based these days.

I have computers that never hook up to the internet, so subscription based doesn't work for them.

·
Registered
Demolition
480 Posts
Back in the Vista days when I started building my own PC, and wanted to upgrade to win7, had a buddy in IT who had unlimited free whatever version of 7 installations, kinda like what they give to manufacturers. And office too. May be an option if you know an IT guy.

Most of them don't go around advertising it but the MS-certified ones do know other tricks and MS-approved exploits to authenticate. This was a few years back but Idk if anything has changed.

Was also lucky coz wifey had 2 free office pro plus keys from her corporate as a perk way back. Home PC still rocking Office 10, but haven't really needed to upgrade.

There are MS approved online vendors that sell keys at a significant discount. "Direct Deals" comes to mind but I haven't used them enough to vouch for them.

·
Registered
Remodel
35,707 Posts
I've used ooen office for ~20 years.

Android I think Feeoffice could be the way to go. I'd be concerned that they'll have to make m8ney somehow.

I've also used libraoffce, which is really good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup, MS Office is subscription based these days.

I have computers that never hook up to the internet, so subscription based doesn't work for them.
No, you can still purchase a standalone product currently called Microsoft Office 2021. I just did recently from their online store. Nephew works there so I piggybacked off his family friends plan and got the whole suite for about $50. I am opposed to cloud based software so I always look for alternative packaging

·
Registered
Remodel
35,707 Posts
No, you can still purchase a standalone product currently called Microsoft Office 2021. I just did recently from their online store. Nephew works there so I piggybacked off his family friends plan and got the whole suite for about $50. I am opposed to cloud based software so I always look for alternative packaging

No internet needed for registration / activation?

·
Design Build
10,994 Posts
If you were to use an Apple computer the office type apps are free and also work and integrate with an iPhone / iPad.
I know a lot of people bash Apple, but I really love the tight integration. I don’t need to be a computer science major to make sure that drivers and things are compatible. If I want to create a slide presentation or document, I just open it up and do it. Dictation is easy adding images and customization is easy. Keynote completely destroys PowerPoint with its ability to make appealing and good looking presentations. Numbers is not as powerful as Excel but it’s plenty powerful for what I do. To me, Apple is the place where you go to create content. Windows is where you go to figure out how to operate a computer and then create content.

Reactions: Pompanosix
1 - 20 of 28 Posts