Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stupid question considering I'm a glazier. :whistling

For the other glaziers out there. What low-E do you use to match Alside series 270 windows from around 6-7 years ago? PPG Solarban 60, PPG 500?

I use to have a chart made up and can't find it. IIRC, I have always used 500, but I may have used Solarban 60 in the past for the older Alpines. I haven't had to deal with many newer Alside windows as they are usually covered under warranty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a stupid question considering I'm a glazier. :whistling

For the other glaziers out there. What low-E do you use to match Alside series 270 windows from around 6-7 years ago? PPG Solarban 60, PPG 500?

I use to have a chart made up and can't find it. IIRC, I have always used 500, but I may have used Solarban 60 in the past for the older Alpines. I haven't had to deal with many newer Alside windows as they are usually covered under warranty.
I am making an assumption that Alside 270 series refers to Cardinal's LoE²-270 coating.

Both Cardinal 270 and Solarban 60 are dual-silver softcoats while Sungate 500 is a hardcoat.

270 and 60 should have a reasonably similar appearance while sungate 500 won't be similar in appearance to either of them.

I am also assuming that you are changing out an IG rather than just planning on using a single pane of glass.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. New IGU. I called Alside which is always an adventure. They said Solarban 60 was the correct one. This of course took 15 minutes and I had to read between the lines considering it threw the warranty department into a tizzy since they didn't understand what I meant by matching the low-e tint color.

The favored response I usually get is we don't warranty anything before 2001. These were newer and it still was a struggle.

Does anybody remember when you could get a guy, or gal, on the phone that has worked at a place long enough to remember the info you need. It seems that everyone I talk to now is new, or just doesn't have any experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts