Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was told as soon as i walked in that they are not making a decision until Friday and would that be ok...
of course i said yes. i proceeded to give my presentation and i could see they had that "i've been through this before" look. i broke the ice a bit and made fun of myself and salesman which got them laughing. I then stressed that its very importnant to understand what makes a product high quality and i could see i caught their attention. i gave them a basic price and made sure they liked me,my company,the product and my ballpark. obviously they said yes and they seemed sincere.
it hurt to walk away but the past few months i had a few "we'll make our decision in a week" responses and i actually secured the jobs. wishful thinking this time? perhaps but it was a judgement call. they seemed to grasp the concept of quality and price so hopefully things will work out.
any opinions on how any of you would have handles this situation?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
:thumbup:
i was told as soon as i walked in that they are not making a decision until Friday and would that be ok...
of course i said yes. i proceeded to give my presentation and i could see they had that "i've been through this before" look. i broke the ice a bit and made fun of myself and salesman which got them laughing. I then stressed that its very importnant to understand what makes a product high quality and i could see i caught their attention. i gave them a basic price and made sure they liked me,my company,the product and my ballpark. obviously they said yes and they seemed sincere.
it hurt to walk away but the past few months i had a few "we'll make our decision in a week" responses and i actually secured the jobs. wishful thinking this time? perhaps but it was a judgement call. they seemed to grasp the concept of quality and price so hopefully things will work out.
any opinions on how any of you would have handles this situation?

One question, did you ask why?

No matter the answer I would always be closing. A few trial closes then bring out the contract and ask for a signature.

They are afraid to make a decision, close them!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
As framer said, first thing you shouldve asked is "Why Friday?", followed by a "What would I have to do on my end to help you make that decision quicker and easier?"

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Ignore the customer and.....

don't create an argument. If you ask the customer the reason they don't want to close until Friday you create an argument, acknowledge you heard the customer's request, and you are bound to conform. Customers seldom know what they want and don't always know the truth. It is your job to sell the customer on changing their mind and confronting the customer is not the way to go.

Ignore the statement and close the sale like you never heard it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
don't create an argument. If you ask the customer the reason they don't want to close until Friday you create an argument, acknowledge you heard the customer's request, and you are bound to conform. Customers seldom know what they want and don't always know the truth. It is your job to sell the customer on changing their mind and confronting the customer is not the way to go.

Ignore the statement and close the sale like you never heard it.
:clap::clap::thumbup:

·
Banned
222 Posts
Of course you should ask why. How else can you handle the objection? I would have put it like this. Sure, you can make a decision at anytime you want. I do have to ask what is so special about Friday?

Before you even begin to close you should try and deal with any and all objections up front.

4 things you should close on. Company, Product, You, and Price.

I have worked for many companies that sell different. There are the one call close compaines, and then there are those that meet with the Home Owner and then mail them a estimate.

One call closers always have a higher sales volume.

If you are not going for the sale, I guarantee someone else is.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Of course you should ask why. How else can you handle the objection? I would have put it like this. Sure, you can make a decision at anytime you want. I do have to ask what is so special about Friday?

Before you even begin to close you should try and deal with any and all objections up front.

4 things you should close on. Company, Product, You, and Price.

I have worked for many companies that sell different. There are the one call close compaines, and then there are those that meet with the Home Owner and then mail them a estimate.

One call closers always have a higher sales volume.

If you are not going for the sale, I guarantee someone else is.
Sales people should not try to have a comeback for every statement .When you want to create a calm situation in many scenarios, in life, it is often better to nod, agree, be quiet, and move forward. We don't have to prevail over every comment and argument with a comeback.

Salesman: "Hello, I'm Jack from Acme Construction"

Customer: "Hi, Jack, I would like an estimate to build a new deck and I'm not going to make a decision until Friday"

Salesman: "Great, lets have a look. Do you have any plans?" (Salesman ignored the customer's statement).

Customer: "Yes, let me show you my drawings"

or, the bad way.

Salesman: "Hello, I'm Jack from Acme Construction"

Customer: "Hi, Jack, I would like an estimate to build a new deck and I'm not going to make a decision until Friday"

Salesman: "Can you tell me why you don't want to start until Friday?"

Customer: "Well, I usually like to kick things around for two or three days. I'll probably call my know-it-all son, get his opinion, and maybe even get a few more estimates."

The customer's answer is useless.You created a problem and wasted precious time. You subjected yourself to prolonging a senseless argument.

Handling all objections in the beginning of a presentation may work great for insurance salesmen because they need to put together many things they can use to play on the customer later in the presentation. An insurance salesman will ask the customer if he loves his family and if he would like to protect the family. This is a question that eliminates an objection later in the sale when the salesman tells the customer the insurance policy is only $500 a month and the customer tells the insurance salesman it is too much money. The insurance salesman eliminates the objection with, "gee Bob, a few minutes ago, you told me you love your family and you want to protect them. Isn't your family worth a measely $500 a month?"

You can't do the same as an insurance salesman. We can ask the customer when they intend to start a job, but we cannot play on the customer with this information later in the presentation nor can we use this information to overcome an objection. If you do, then you are selling based on the strength of argument and you are not selling based on strength of your product. We have only minutes to close sales and prefer not to have one objection nor argument throughout the entire presentation.

Contractors should not enter a home with the premise there are multiple objections. We enter the home because the customer knows (we think) what they want. The only thing we need to handle is 'problem and solution'. When you convince the customer you have the best solution, or at least a solution that meets their highest expectations, the customer will sign the contract on the first day, with no arguments and no objections. And, you are not always going to get the customer to change their mind, so why worry about what the customer tells you regarding this subject.

This is a lot of fun. The next time someone is arguing with you stop talking and smile.

Lets call this 'Objectionless Selling'

·
Scooter
304 Posts
This is a lot of fun. The next time someone is arguing with you stop talking and smile.

Lets call this 'Objectionless Selling'
This works on my wife! :thumbup:

Take 2 to argue!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I guess personally both takes on the subject are correct depending on the circumstance.

My advice is first breeze past the objection and be sure to build rapport, trust, and a sense of working together towards a common goal.

I do think you need to address this issue because when you ask for the sale it will be an objection you'll have to deal with. I tend to structure my demo so at the end I've dealt with all the objections, and the homeowner knows it's decision time.

A way to address it without coming across too nosy it to say, "By the way Fred, I know you mentioned you weren't making a decision until Friday. Do I need to reschedule this for Friday then?" Usually I've given them enough to peak their interest so they say no and will tell me why Friday is special.

If they say they want other bids I have a rebuttal. Want to talk to their brother?...I have a rebuttal.

So yes, ignore it at first so you can focus on the people. Once you done that, focus on the objections so that you can eliminate them and give the homeowner no reason NOT to say yes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts