Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just happened to "stumble" upon this site and I think that it is a great thing you all have going here. I have been a union carpenter in Hawaii for roughly 10 years and have been entertaining thoughts of going out on my own. I was wondering if any of you could recommend "The Mother of ALL building contractors" book? Thank you in advance. I hope to be a part of this great community of yours.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hello... Don't take offense when I bash unions. I do it quite frequently.

Infact I was invited to bid a job and I went there today. I realized very quickly I was the only on site scab. Since the roof will take about a month to compete, that would be an interesting picket line out front of the job site for a whole month. I think I am going to pass up on this one even though the contract will be around $150k.

This website IS the mother of all building contractor books. We give away the farm every day!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Grumpy said:
I realized very quickly I was the only on site scab.
Scab?!?!?!? I take great offense at that term. I run a "merit" shop. :Thumbs:

Grumpy said:
Since the roof will take about a month to compete, that would be an interesting picket line out front of the job site for a whole month.
Hey Grumpy..my experience is that if a "scab" like you can do a job in a month, then a union guy'll take six weeks ;)

Grumpy said:
I think I am going to pass up on this one even though the contract will be around $150k..
If the GC is a union shop I don't waste my time bidding.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
l3igKahuna said:
"The Mother of ALL building contractors" book?
If the book was an animal it would be called Sasquatch. Some think it exists, few have seen it and those who have can't show it to you.

I liked Execution, The Discipline of Getting Things Done by Larry Bossidy & Ram Charan. Published by Crown Business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grumpy said:
LOL We are gonna chase away Kahuna in his welcome thread :)

Kahuna Welcome Welcome! Not all union guys are bad.
Not at all...I appreciate all the messages/flack :)

To be honest, If I should be fortunate enough to be able to go on my own, I highly doubt (looks around to see if the boss is watching) I will remain in the union...sssshhhhhh.

Thank you all for the links. I have a funny feeling I am going to enjoy my time in here.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
l3igKahuna said:
Not at all...I appreciate all the messages/flack :)

To be honest, If I should be fortunate enough to be able to go on my own, I highly doubt (looks around to see if the boss is watching) I will remain in the union...sssshhhhhh.
QUOTE]

:cheesygri :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Welcome Kahuna. On the big island? Speak Polynesian? I'm practicing, my daughters roomate was Kuuipo Curry from Hawaii.
You'll figure out the cast of characters on this board soon enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts