Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was fortunate to be able to be part of this project. I had the framing / carpentry scope on this 6500 sq ft deck. It's a children's rainforest canopy walk in Sarasota Florida at the Marie Selby Gardens. Should be complete tomorrow. Here's some in progress pics. I wonder if I'll get another job as cool as this in my career!

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
So I was fortunate to be able to be part of this project. I had the framing / carpentry scope on this 6500 sq ft deck. It's a children's rainforest canopy walk in Sarasota Florida at the Marie Selby Gardens. Should be complete tomorrow. Here's some in progress pics. I wonder if I'll get another job as cool as this in my career!
What method of fastening did you go with

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
Great looking deck, was the tree growing a concern when you cut them in. Seems tight.

image-1146256084.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Californiadecks said:
Great looking deck, was the tree growing a concern when you cut them in. Seems tight.
We kept the framing far enough away. The deck will have to be trimmed back over the years. But has to be tight enough to pass Final inspection. An arborist was onsite throughout giving us guidance as far as clearances and tolerances

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Golden view said:
The day I have an arborist on site to advise I will feel like I hit it big.
Hahah. The property is a tourist attraction but foremost a research facility for plant life etc. so the botanist / arborist so was there full time prior. He was more of an advisor.

·
90%-er
1,414 Posts
Awesome work man. Looking at those pictures, I'm wondering how much of this project could possibly have been drawn out ahead of time? It's just such a custom design to fit exactly around all the obstacles. Did you pretty much have to plan the structure as you went along? (as if you couldn't tell, I don't build decks for a living).

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Engineers specified stainless face screws. Plugged would've been nice but was not my call
It's easier to replace a damaged board. Nothing wrong with face screw look and at least he went with that. I fight with most architects to face and or plug they all keep pushing clips so when they listen I make them sign of warranties. Either way you gotta awesome job on your hands. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
CITY DECKS INC said:
It's easier to replace a damaged board. Nothing wrong with face screw look and at least he went with that. I fight with most architects to face and or plug they all keep pushing clips so when they listen I make them sign of warranties. Either way you gotta awesome job on your hands. :thumbsup:
I start another ipe deck next week I only offer face screw or screw and plug.i just don't have confidence in the ipe clip especially if the boards need straightening

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CITY DECKS INC said:
I agree100%. Clips are out of the question on a job this size. Plugged would've looked nice though.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,970 Posts
I agree100%. Clips are out of the question on a job this size. Plugged would've looked nice though.
You got bigger balls than me, I was asked to quote that job twice and just wasn't confident in the plans and/or people in charge. Who ended up with it, tandem right?

You did good work with subpar plans, Nick said you guys were good, turns out he was right! Looked to be a fun one for sure but hard to work with the bay right there and not fish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Deckhead said:
You got bigger balls than me, I was asked to quote that job twice and just wasn't confident in the plans and/or people in charge. Who ended up with it, tandem right? You did good work with subpar plans, Nick said you guys were good, turns out he was right! Looked to be a fun one for sure but hard to work with the bay right there and not fish.
I couldn't pass that job up. Architectural Plans were subpar, but I've done work with tandem before. The super on the job was real easy to work with. I've done a lot of work that involved the same engineers. Just one of those jobs that I knew even if I broke even on it, the exposure would pay dividends in the end.

I'm primarily a framing / carpentry contractor here in town. Don't get in to too many decks. But I have a feeling that might change after this one :).

I appreciate the kind words. Thank you

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
mikecocozza said:
I couldn't pass that job up. Architectural Plans were subpar, but I've done work with tandem before. The super on the job was real easy to work with. I've done a lot of work that involved the same engineers. Just one of those jobs that I knew even if I broke even on it, the exposure would pay dividends in the end. I'm primarily a framing / carpentry contractor here in town. Don't get in to too many decks. But I have a feeling that might change after this one :). I appreciate the kind words. Thank you
Happened to me, I was framing customs and I was between homes and didn't want my crew to go somewhere else. I put out a local add for decks and the phone just kept ringing. That was 2003 and I haven't looked back, now I spend nothing on marketing. If you finally decide to take it to a new level it's a very lucrative business.

Beautiful job, by the way

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice work. We have an ipe deck coming up latter this month. Not quite as big as this one!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts