Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have threads of awesome projects but those dont come up everyday. This thread is just pure production and business #s. Probably shouldnt have dollar figures but you could post close rate for a week, footage of flooring laid, walls painted, record time to build a house or whatever.

A place to have a record to refer to yourself and share insights with your brethren on how to reach their new personal best. We can all lie and bluff and bluster but in the end that would be a lie tk yourself. Ultimately its something tk motivate us througb the workday and add fun to the neverending stampede to earn a buck.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
By myself set and grout 450 sf of tile in a night. Office building. Hallways and bathroom. Lots of cutting. Was delirious by the end, slept all day in a spare office. Easy access to material and slop sink.

Me and 1 guy, 2 nights, installed 850 sy of glue down carpet in occupied retail space including carpet base.

By myself install and activate 6 DirecTV 4 set installs running all new wire in one day, all residential.

Me and 1 guy, 16x20 outbuilding with roll up door and 2 windows - materials loaded on trailer, brought to site, and building erected in 1 day.

My best dollar day of these: $1575
Lowest dollar day of these: $600

Sure could use more days like those!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Screen/Coat a commercial project. Nine at night until finished. Took just shy of three hours and cleared a smidge over $1200. Tuesday was a bit difficult, but that's life.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
I dont generally measure by speed anymore at all.

When I was a commercial superintendent I trimmed tract style specs on the side, very low sq ft price. My partner and I trimmed a house a day on a regular basis, 1400-2000 ft. Sometimes the day was 9 or 10 hours and sometimes it was 16. Sometimes we had to go back on Sunday. No window casings, just sill and sash, crappy stationary shelves in the pantry and closets. We even set pre fab cabinets by the box. We usually had to cut back masonite on the stained concrete to run base, too.

Made anywhere from 350-600 a house a peice. By no means the most ive ever made in a day as a GC, but 350 was nice little bump in pay as an employee. Insurance was less than 1200 a year.

Completely different skill set from custom trim, but just another skill set in the tool box.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Oh to be 25 again and able to work more than a half day. Now 12 hours is pushing it.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
Oh to be 25 again and able to work more than a half day. Now 12 hours is pushing it.
:laughing:

My wife says Im going to hit a big wall one day soon. :laughing: I work more now than I did when I was 25. Turned 31 Monday

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts

My wife says Im going to hit a big wall one day soon. :laughing: I work more now than I did when I was 25. Turned 31 Monday
My work is very different that it used to be. Back then I didn't know as much, but I could hump tile and carpet like a mad man! It was all about production. Back then I was a sub for flooring companies, paid off of a price sheet. It had to be up to par, but we weren't doing spectacular work. Carpet seams had to disappear. Tile had to be straight, flat, cut tight, and spaced right. Within those parameters it was all about how much can I get done in a given time. Anything outside my comfort zone it was call somebody that did it. I wouldn't even paint my own base and shoe. I wanted to pick up work orders, get in, and get them done - and let someone else deal with the customer. Sometimes I miss that, but talking to a customer is easier on the back :whistling

I turned 37 a couple of months ago. I'm not an old man yet, but things wear on me more now than they used to. After tearing off a roof I wake up the next day hurting all over.

Speaking of which, I've got to go meet the guys and go tear off a roof :censored:

Reactions: mski and Jaws

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
11 apartment in 6 days. Patched 32 holes, painted 7 units white & 3 units two tone. Did a unit in 45 minutes (came to $550/hr on that one). Paid helper $1000, kept the other $7000 for me. Worked from 9 a.m to midnight all 6 days just me and my son.

Funny part was, we did nothing but prep for the first 3 days. Everyone doubted that we could pull it off. But once we fired up that sprayer it was game on haha

Got paid just in time for christmas. Best christmas ever.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts

Wait, your only 31... I had you pictured as at least 50...

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
you are hardly old school if you are using the term "bro"

stephen
an old boy that works for me from time to time is 60 years old and uses the word bro in almost every sentence. I guess you ASSUME that everyone acts like they do where you're from. I can assure you that that is not the case.

I'm talking more about values and work ethic than I am about lingo.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Jaws said:
Don't make me laugh. Tilson was anything but efficient. This was just me. Spec house.

Tilson was an impediment to fast or smart construction. Once back in 07 or so when we had the most rain ever one spring, I was trying to get a slab poured down in Brownwood. Literally was a month before we had a couple days with no rain and it dried out enough to set forms. Got it formed and ready to pour, but rain was forecast for that night, so we ordered two trucks to come in and pour all the beams that day so we wouldn't lose the pad and cave in beams and whatnot if it rained on it.

Somehow the suit from corporate called me right about then, and I just mentioned what was going on. He got all panicky and called off the pour cause he was scared it would mess something up if we didn't pour it all together, and paid for the concrete company to waste two trucks. I was pissed, cause it did rain that night and made a mess. Then later I talked to the engineer and he said obviously we should have filled the beams, would have been no prob. The other super up here also showed me a set of prints later where the engineer actually called for the pour to be done that way.

It was one after another with those guys. Don't get me started.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
You dont have to tell me. Lol

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
an old boy that works for me from time to time is 60 years old and uses the word bro in almost every sentence. I guess you ASSUME that everyone acts like they do where you're from. I can assure you that that is not the case.

I'm talking more about values and work ethic than I am about lingo.
I don't assume anything other than a 60 year old constantly using the term "bro"- is acting pretty silly and trying more than a little too hard to be , hip,cool, with it, up-to-date, mod, Etc.
In my circle "Bro"referrs to a popped collar frat boy who wouldn't know an honest days work if it bit him in the azz.

so- if some 60 year old who worked for me called me a "bro"-it would be meant as an insult and I would tell him to STFU, get back to work, and If I hear that word out of his mouth again he will be looking for another job. I can hire guys all day long who can act their age AND get the job done.
I wouldn't tolerate a "Bro" out of anyone older than about 17, LOL
Stephen

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
I don't assume anything other than a 60 year old constantly using the term "bro"- is acting pretty silly and trying more than a little too hard to be , hip,cool, with it, up-to-date, mod, Etc.
In my circle "Bro"referrs to a popped collar frat boy who wouldn't know an honest days work if it bit him in the azz.

so- if some 60 year old who worked for me called me a "bro"-it would be meant as an insult and I would tell him to STFU, get back to work, and If I hear that word out of his mouth again he will be looking for another job. I can hire guys all day long who can act their age AND get the job done.
I wouldn't tolerate a "Bro" out of anyone older than about 17, LOL
Stephen
#1- you are describing how you view a single word in your part of the world, this is a world wide forum. Dont be so self centered. Case in point- I am literally about as far from a pop collared punk as you can get, I use the word bro from time to time.

#2- you would be happy to have that guy working for you if he was a cross eyed midget who couldnt pick up a bundle of shingles if he was building cabinets for you.

# 3- if you you told him to STFU up, the next words out of your mouth would be said without teeth, you old lefty. :laughing::clap:

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
redoing the gutters on small condo complex..Gutters and leaders already removed with brand new fascia walkable with straight runs. Installed 900' gutter and 800' of leader in 13 hours..Every gutter guys wet dream buildings..Have two more days there..Prob be a long time till we come across something like this again..Would be a total homerun if we didn't miss 6 straight weeks this winter :sad:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts