Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently moved from MI to NC and noticed that finishers down here use A.P. mud for tape, bed, and finish coats. I prefer to only tape with A.P. and use Lightweight for all finish coats. I dont see why anyone would want to sand A.P. as it is a harder mud and when using box tools the edges and lap marks are unforgivable. Lightweight sands way easier and is lighter when holding a full pan. Other than not wanting to stock two different kinds of mud what other reasons would you want to use A.P. on finish coats.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I don't have a good reason really. We have Plus 3 available to us but I don't like how gritty it is. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
43,589 Posts
I use AP for tape and first coat and topping for second coat. Topping doesn't shrink as much

·
Registered
818 Posts
Same here, ap for tape and 1st, then topping. It's much easier to sand. I hate the lightweight stuff.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Recently moved from MI to NC and noticed that finishers down here use A.P. mud for tape, bed, and finish coats. I prefer to only tape with A.P. and use Lightweight for all finish coats. I dont see why anyone would want to sand A.P. as it is a harder mud and when using box tools the edges and lap marks are unforgivable. Lightweight sands way easier and is lighter when holding a full pan. Other than not wanting to stock two different kinds of mud what other reasons would you want to use A.P. on finish coats.
Strength

·
Registered
488 Posts
Can't get toping where I am. Have been using the new ultra light for final. It's pretty decent to work with and I really like it for skimming.

·
GC/carpenter
43,589 Posts
I like topping its smooth. We texture with AP because of its hardness. Topping is a little soft, but nothing like that light weight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with you all on using AP for taping/bedding due to the glue in it, actually most finishers in MI use Durabond 90 for bedding cornerbeads(metal) I think it has something to do with the cold winters I sure dont miss mixing 20 bags of Durabond every time I bed beads. But if your bed coat has the strength of AP why would you need that strength on your finish coat. The painter usually primes your work right away (a lot of times as your sanding lol) I just hate the added weight especially in the tools the boxes are 50% lighter using lightweight and Im boxing 15000sf a day and taping 30000sf a day so anything that makes those tools lighter makes sense. Although I have to say taping with AP will probably have to remain we tried taping with AP ultralight and we were having problems with tapes delaminating not enough glue despite Sheetrocks claims found it great to finish coat with the stuff is like holding a pan of marshmellow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts