Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pricing Mahogany for a deck job and so far the most extremes are $1.09 and 1.61/LF :eek: How do they even sell it at that price? Is it just yard loyalty? Loyal or not, there is no way I am going to charge an extra $2k for the decking I need and either pass that on to the customer or lose the bid! Neither is a large chain or anything like that, both small yards an hour away from each other

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can only imagine what you guys are paying. Not much you can do unless you pay the ferry fees and pay someone to come over and pick it up. Hell, I don't even wanna know what you have to pay for simple things like a gallon of milk.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
To the OP what's your cost on PT and cedar?
The "mahogany" is it dark red meranti? 1x6 or 5/4x6 ?

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
1.69 is above a great price down here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats for 1x4, no clue on pricing for 6" stock, I havent priced any since last season

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples, u might wanna take a peek at the stuff before you buy it based on price.
I'll definitely be making the drive to inspect it before I have it shipped and paid for.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
I would suggest to the OP to fully search building techniques with hardwood decking before just going out there and building one. Glues fastening, spacing, ventilation.

You can get 1x4 for $1.25/ ft and 1x6 for 1.75/ft in your state

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I research the crap out of everything I install before I do it. If I am putting my name on it, its gotta be done right without any call backs

·
Artist and not a curator
14,306 Posts
The 1.09 is cheaper than I am used to, so I am fine with that. I was expecting in the 1.20-1.30 range. I am just amazed by 1.61. Thats 48% higher! I am glad I shop around.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but neither are mahogany. You don't get real mahogany @ $1.61 in 1X4 unless its sap wood which looks more like maple than mahogany. I have never seen genuine mahogany cost $4.83 per bd foot let alone just over $3.

Its some type of south eastern Asian material like balau, or meranti, could be sapele or sipo too but I doubt it. Fill us in on who is providing the lumber to the yard and we can probably tell you what you're buying. There is a big difference in performance from the "Asian mahogany" to south American mahogany.

Might be abaco but that's cheap even for them. If they want real mahogany then you better double that number... At least.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. I will definitely find out who is supplying them and find out what it really is and where its coming from

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Deckhead said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but neither are mahogany. You don't get real mahogany @ $1.61 in 1X4 unless its sap wood which looks more like maple than mahogany. I have never seen genuine mahogany cost $4.83 per bd foot let alone just over $3. Its some type of south eastern Asian material like balau, or meranti, could be sapele or sipo too but I doubt it. Fill us in on who is providing the lumber to the yard and we can probably tell you what you're buying. There is a big difference in performance from the "Asian mahogany" to south American mahogany. Might be abaco but that's cheap even for them. If they want real mahogany then you better triple that number... At least.
Thats kinda what I was thinking, I pay $1.10 for finger jointed primed pine

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but neither are mahogany. You don't get real mahogany @ $1.61 in 1X4 unless its sap wood which looks more like maple than mahogany. I have never seen genuine mahogany cost $4.83 per bd foot let alone just over $3.

Its some type of south eastern Asian material like balau, or meranti, could be sapele or sipo too but I doubt it. Fill us in on who is providing the lumber to the yard and we can probably tell you what you're buying. There is a big difference in performance from the "Asian mahogany" to south American mahogany.

Might be abaco but that's cheap even for them. If they want real mahogany then you better triple that number... At least.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news too, but balau is not mahogany, dark red meranti is one of 104 species. What they call Cuban mahogany is for furniture, yes you can build a deck out of it but what's the point when almost all of the 104 species looks and reacts the same.
Also abaco is not a species of decking just the company brand same as ipanema decking. Some of these are just long lasting hardwoods that are fairly stable that the companies don't expose the species to the public

·
Artist and not a curator
14,306 Posts
Thats kinda what I was thinking, I pay $1.10 for finger jointed primed pine
You can probably get it for around $6-8 a bd foot if you have the right supplier. More like double the cost, I was exaggerating for dramtic effect and fixed it. Also not a lot of people are willing to sell it cheap as inventory is hard to get ahold of in large quantities of shipping containers.

Mahogany doesn't make a great decking material as about the same cost as ipe (or higher) and isn't as durable or hard. Genuine mahogany (South American) is best used for exterior doors and the like because it machines up so well.

I have yet to install any of the south pacifics "mahogany" but I've heard some horror stories.

BFD ask them if theyd be interested in massaranduba you ain't getting it as cheap but its a superior species.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts