Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been looking to pick up a plumb laser, I would love to find one that would plumb, square, and shoot a beam around a room, say for installing chair rail or something or for finding deck post heights.

Is there such a product? I am clueless with lasers. What are you guys using? I've been looking at maybe something in the middle of the price scale.

Thanks, Dave

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
Thanks Warner, that sounds pretty sweet, you wouldn't happen to know the model of it would you?

Dave
I can't and I really don't feel like going out to the trailer to look.

Let me see if I can remember.

It is basically this set-up here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CST-BERGER-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5635c5ee52

Not as nice as the Hilti's but, I have used it for things like suspended ceilings, level line in a old crooked house, forming concrete steps (grade from sidewalk to porch floor), layed out tile with it as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a cst/berger that I have been happy with.

It's few years old, does a plumb line as well. Has fast and slow rotation, short and long sweep, spot and can be used on it's back for tile layouts. I have the tripod, benchmark stick, card, case and reciever unit.
Whats the model #, and can it be used for a balluster layout?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Can't believe Festool doesn't make a laser.:shutup:

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I tried to review a CST/Berger for JLC and it was so, so bad, I couldn't deal with it on a real job long enough to eek out a review. When I say "bad", it was an understatement.

I don't remember the exact model, but it was like three lasers combined into one and it just stank.

I have PLS lasers and absolutely love them. Check them out.

ETA: You really need three lasers to do what you want to do...well. A 5-way dot laser, a cross beam laser, and a squaring laser. I have five lasers on the truck depending on what I need to do. If I could only have one, it would be a PLS90e with detector because you can do a lot with that one single laser.

·
Contractor
7,327 Posts
I tried out the CST/Berger LM30 and found it to be a piece of junk.

I ended up with a David White 3175.

http://www.davidwhite.com/Laser_tools/483175.html#

I have been pretty happy with it. Has a remote, it can do pin point, selective sweep, and works on the vertical.

It has dual grade capabilities that you probably don't need. Check out the David White site and see if there is something that suits your needs better.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou for the info Warner! Thanks guys for the input!

Whats the model #, and can it be used for a balluster layout?
Its funny you should bring that up jayrek. Thats acctually what I am buying this thing for in the first place, to lay out rail ballusters. But I would love to be able to do a bunch of stuff with it.

Dave

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have a hilti dot laser, I need to get a cross beam at some point and the PLS seems real swell for the money...but then it won't match my other lasers :shutup:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Most companies make great items and budget items. And CST does also.

So it depends on which CST laser you are looking at. And you cannot compare a manual LM30 to the other CST's, big difference.

Also most models of David White and CST Berger lasers are the same internally, and are the same company.

Look at these links to a CST LM30 and a David White ML-450N, is the David White better or are they the same.

http://www.cstsurvey.com/Products/LaserMark/LM_30Wizard.htm

http://www.davidwhite.com/Laser_tools/474720NT.html

It is better to stay away from any manual leveling laser, no matter what brand.

I own and have used several lasers. I own a Spectra Precision L600, a CST LM800, a CST ALGR, and a Spectra Precision pipe laser. These CST's have the same features as Warner's, and maybe more like dual slope, etc.

I have used Topcon's, Leica's, and Trimble's before they bought out Spectra Precison. These CST's are just as accurate, usually have more features and are half the price of these brands.

For good prices go to:
http://www.engineersupply.com/

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for more info!

Thanks for the links kgmz!

Hmm so many choices, Its probly gonna take me a year to make a decision:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have you had a look into the Bosch Family of LAsers. They have some pretty nice stuff coming out( mind you it is all made in China ) I would vote for the PLS 180 myself. It is truly a great laser, priced well and get's the job done.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mike,

Yup I was just looking at the bosches. They deffinetly look like nice units, but like you said they are made in china thats almost a deal breaker for me.

The PLS's is what I keep going back to, they are just so nice:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Something I ran into on the web today regarding the Bosch lasers.

At the end of 2007 Bosch bought RoboToolz who is the manufacturer of the lasers Bosch now sells under their name. In June 2008 Bosch bought CST Berger/David White/Rolatape from Stanley Works. In the future you will be seeing some Bosch lasers that are actually CST Bergers/David Whites.

Another interesting thing is some of the RoboToolz laser also say Porter Cable on them. Not sure if Porter Cable once owned RoboToolz or what.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts