Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Los Angeles Remodeler
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok here is another "friend problem".

I did a renovation job recently and for some reason everyone is at awe for the job we did as the place was trashed and since I know lots of people, material etc in the industry (doing 10+ million dollar jobs for 15+ years) I was able to wrap up the job at half the price and make the place look 100% different (extreme makeover).

Now all our friends come over and absolutely love the place and being in foreclosure season, of course everyone is buying 2nd or third house for themselves or investment and these properties are all trashed by banks' neglegence or previous owners so they need work done.

So here I am with 10+ friends who need what I do, and none want to hire me. Worse is that they ask for my contacts, asking:

"where did you get the granite stone for 1/4 of Home Depot price?"
"Where did you get the amazing wood flooring for 1/2 the wholesale price?"
"How did you get the recessed lights installed so cheap?
"How did you do your entire custom kitchen cabinets for $2,800??

And these are all my friends, most I have known for 10+ years and all have day jobs making $120k+ (hey this is California, 6 figure income will only get you a 700SF condo and a ford focus).

What am I supposed to do? give them my contact list? How can I tell them this is what I do for a living, if you want my work you can hire me to do it for you..

·
Design Build
8,315 Posts
They are not true friends - they sound like they see you as a conduit to getting something for cheap.

They are welcome to figure out all the things that you do and know on their own...but to ask for a free shortcut - not cool.

Just how i see it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So basically some of this folk are cheepo house flipper right? Send them where they can get the stuff at a "home owners rate" :whistling

·
Registered
96 Posts
How did they find out what things cost you? You should have kept your mouth shut!
If you go to your freinds house and he/she has a brand new 50 inch LCD TV and tells you they got it for a fraction of the price than you have seen for, would'nt you ask them to hook you up?

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
If they do nothing to help you why should the time and effort you've put forth to find the "right" contacts be given away....especially when they could be hiring you.

They don't have any obligation to hire you, you don't have any obligation to give away your contacts.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
My wife :clap:
Huge mistake right there, no matter what it takes you always come across to your wife that you lost your ass on everything you do. Just tell her you can pay the bills every month, what more can a man ask for? Then if she leaves you know she was no good anyhow, if she stays you got a nice growing tool fund that she never knew you had. :clap:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Don't give them the contacts. They won't appreciate it anyhow. You'll hardly get a thanks.

I tell people that my suppliers are very strict with only dealing with contractors.

Tell them you got caught once, and they threatened to suspend all contracts with you because you pissed off about 30 other contractors who stood to lose business if you kept this up. Not to mention those 30 guys were threatening to kick your ass so hard you would never be able to feed yourself again.

Tell them markups are how contractors make money. We don't charge much for labour. Just like a waiter lives off tips, a contractor lives off markups. (whatever, make something up).

Tell them you're sorry, but it's just not worth the risk.

·
Los Angeles Remodeler
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you go to your freinds house and he/she has a brand new 50 inch LCD TV and tells you they got it for a fraction of the price than you have seen for, would'nt you ask them to hook you up?
A TV is different than construction work. I busted my ass to find these contacts. In one instance, I contacted and/or met with 12 different cabinet manufacturers to go from $6,000 initial quote to $2,800 for even slightly better quality.

You'll hardly get a thanks...
But I will get the crap if one thing goes wrong.

·
Nepster
171 Posts
Tell them, sure I can recommend someone and tell the guy to put a little something on top for you. Or you could just tell them it is your price or your guy. When they don't understand just tell them what you told everyone here, that you worked many years to make those contacts. If you have known them for 10+ years they should at least understand where you are coming from.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I would tell them that you will supply the stuff at 10% below the cost they can get it for. That way you make a nice amount of cash and dont have to hardly do anything. You can more than double your money if what you say is true about getting stuff so cheap. That way you do them a deal and it helps you out also.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a friend who loves to call for advice and always asks to use my pricing for his home projects. At first it bothered the heck out of me, but then I realized it wasnt really costing me anything, and he hacks stuff up so bad I really dont want to get involved in his projects anyway. BUT, the guy is a computer genius and I get all my computers done for free and he's right there whenever I have a computer problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts