Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father and i run very small only two man operation excavation company, weve a t-800 12yd truck, 580 superm, 763 bobcat and jcb mini x. we also rent a hire bigger equipment and trucks ass needed

we used to do residiential houseing clearance this includes digging the clearance along with all utilities and concrete prepp. this market is now falln flat on its face, weve gone from 10-20 houses a months to 6 in the last year.

but weve picked up few custom hom builders who do big homes weve done couple 10000 square foot clearances this year and a few dailight basements on hill sides. these are good jobs

to my question. weve been doing more and more and larger comercial jobs. we do all the trenching for plumbing company. were all the digging on the planned to be biggest idaho highschool. weve so far loogged over 2000ft of trench on this job.

ok dang it to the question. weve run into rock on this job and have rented a super m hoe with hammer. weve hammerd about 500 ft of trench in the last week.

what im wondering is how much the price goes up for backhoe with ahmmer or if just standerd hourly raters apply. normaly our backhoe makes 75-90 an hour, or 5 dollars a foot of trench. this included backfill and material haul off. bedding sand isnt included

i guess ther you have it, how much to hammer?

thanks for your time

Evan

·
Contractor
7,680 Posts
Evan, I would add the additional cost of the daily hammer rental rate plus some $ for overhead and profit.

Divide by 8, add that to your hourly rate. I might even add more $ for having to listen to that thing all day. :hammer:

·
Registered
58 Posts
We have a 1996 ford 575D with a 1000lb hammer on it (a little big for the machine). We only do full day rentals with our operator for $1250.00 per day. We move the machine our selves and the day is from 7:30 till 4:00.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Evan, I would add the additional cost of the daily hammer rental rate plus some $ for overhead and profit.

Divide by 8, add that to your hourly rate. I might even add more $ for having to listen to that thing all day. :hammer:
yeah hammering sucks... but its stupid for you to have to eat the rental of the hammer... that cost deffinitley needs to be passed on. Plus for a little extra for having to abuse your machine with that beast... and for your slight loss of sanity...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we rented backhoe with hammer on it we had both hoes running the rental hammering and ours had rock bucket dragn rock out of the trenches.

rental is 300 a day.

thanks for the replys

ohhhhh we set our case up with wobble sticks and the rental has case controls. i danged near cant run the case controls they drive me crazy specialy the foot pedals

·
Registered
6 Posts
I charge 285.00hr for a 3500lb hammer on a JD 590 and 365hr for a 5000lb hammer on a JD 892 there not cheap to rebuild.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Most company's I know get 2X's to 2.5X's the normal machine hourly rate for a machine with a hammer on it. Some charge a point wear charge on top of that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for the replies.

i think im gona figure on the 2 times normal rates with the 300 dollar rental tacked on top of that

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
I charge 285.00hr for a 3500lb hammer on a JD 590 and 365hr for a 5000lb hammer on a JD 892 there not cheap to rebuild.
You got that right

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
weve hammerd about 500 ft of trench in the last week....how much for backhoe with ahmmer...normaly our backhoe makes 75-90 an hour, or 5 dollars a foot of trench...this included backfill and material haul off....how much to hammer?
40 hours x $75-$90 = weekly rate

weekly rate divided by 500 ft of hammered trench = feetly rate for hammered trench

feetly rate x feet divided by hours spent hammering = hourly rate

FYI - at $5 a foot of trench including backfill and haul off you should have no shortage of work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
weve been busy and lucky to be working at all last winter almost put us under all we did from november till spring was plow pking lots. work is already slowing so ive been chasen bigger lots and started working on on 4 ft plow wing for the backoe. well then be out plowing loaders that run around town. i fabbed wing for the skidsteer last years and can out plw the backhoe and skidsteers that are running around town with 6k plow blades those guys are nuts foor spendn that much on a peice of seasonal equipment.
its going to be scary if the snow doesnt fly atleast enough to make equipment payments i dont know if well make it

5- 6.50 is the going rate inside jobs are charged by the hour

we are wrapping up a trenching job on school being built job has been about 2.5 months long and will run past 3000 ft of trench

1 - 13 of 13 Posts