Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the roofers:

We all can see the black algae stains on many asphalt shingles. Is this problem being seen with stone coated steel roofing at all.
I suppose the southern panhandle, florida roofers would know better than anyone.

Thanks

Red

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jproffer said:
Zinc strips at the top would trickle down and kill the algae.
Yes, you are probably right about the Zinc strips, however my question was directed towards existing granular coated roofs and if they are showing the same algae related problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ugly, dark stains that are so prevalent are caused by a very hardy “blue-green” algae, Gloeocapsa magma, that thrives on the asphalt shingled roofs in much of the country, especially in the highly humid areas that are indicated in green on the map. These are areas most likely to be impacted by stain causing roof algae, Gloeocapsa magma, as well as other stains caused by mildew, mold, moss and lichen.

Growth is more prevalent on the north and west facing surfaces of the roof (and highly shaded areas) due to the reduced amount of sun received by these surfaces. After a rain, these roof surfaces tend to not dry completely thus providing an ideal area for algae growth. As algae grows on the roof, it holds even more moisture which accelerates the growth. The results is ugly roof stains that continue to get worse and worse over time

Algae spores are carried by wind, birds, squirrels, etc. If your roof is currently clean, it likely won’t stay that way - if other houses in the area are already stained.

There are other types of stains found on roofs. Green roof stains are often caused by mold and mildew. Lichen & moss also cause stains and growths on roofs.

The Design of Asphalt Shingles has Changed

Years ago, stains on asphalt shingled roofs were not a significant problem. Today it is a big problem because the design of asphalt shingles has changed over time.

Asphalt shingle roofs have been in use since the late 1800s. Early versions were made from felts containing cotton or wool fibers. In the early 1940s, cellulose fibers derived from recycled paper or wood began being used to manufacture asphalt shingle mat. Since the late 1970s, the primary material has been inorganic fiberglass mat (over 80% of the current market). The mat is coated with asphalt that is then covered with a protective layer of U.V. resistant, colored ceramic granules. In the manufacture of fiberglass asphalt shingles, limestone is used as a void filler between individual mats and also provides resistance to fire and weather. Unfortunately, limestone is a favorite food for the blue-green algae, Gloeocapsa magma, that cause the dark stains on these fiberglass asphalt shingle roofs. The algae used to starve to death when it landed on your roof - now it thrives on your roof.

According to the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturing Association, asphalt shingle roofs represent 80 to 85% of the current residential roofing market. When the popularity of these shingles is considered, plus the current use of limestone filler, it is easy to understand the reason for the wide spread occurrence of algae caused roof stains - especially in areas with high humidity.

Algae also Damages the Roof & Shortens Roof Life

It is bad enough that algae causes ugly roof stains, unfortunately it also damages the roof The algae takes root on the shingles dislodging the granules which protect & color the roof. It holds water to the roof's surface and can cause decay & rot of the roof's underlayment. Not only is your roof being discolored by the algae, but it is shortening the life of the roof leading to earlier than necessary roof replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It beats having to write all that out. I’m no idiot I wont spend 30 minutes writing that when I can use what I all ready know, Google Search, copy, paste, 2 minutes. I call that intelligent. Its knowledge I alread learned and know where to get it if I need a refresher course. Oh by the way to answer the question It doesnt grow on metal roof only dirt and grime on that type of material.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You did kinda try to pass it on as your own words. Do you do that with your work also? Hire someone else and pass it on as your work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow Wow Wow now lets try and stay professional, I'm not sure what you have with me buddy but that was ripped straight from this site and stored in my info file two years ago. zincshield.com take a look and stop your chatter like I said I researched the internet for info and I pasted it in word and stored it for future material such as this All IM TRYING TO DO WAS HELP, THATS WHY THERE ARE BBS LIKE THIS. What are you doing? Get your panties out of that wad, does the admin see this. These type of remarks should not be tolerated it’s inconsequential. I’m not sure If your day went wrong or what but understand this, I’m telling you what I’ve done if you don’t like it I don’t care If your so against information maybe you should stop your subscription to the internet, after all it was created to be the information highway.
How’s that saying go, “Cant Fix Stupid”.
And by the way you don’t know my Company’s or me and it’s not your place to make remarks about someone’s businesses in an incompetent manor.
Any remark to this post will be considered that you have nothing brilliant or significant to add to this at all. There is no reason to repost and waste the time of others and myself.
If you do thou I’m sure I can help you again, I suppose I could spare 10 minutes Hold on I could just hire someone to type this and pass if off as my own.
Quote “MJW You did kinda try to pass it on as your own words. Do you do that with your work also? Hire someone else and pass it on as your work.” You know I was thinking good lord yes I do hire people and they do work for me, and I do pass it on as my own I think they call that Business here’s the definition straight from the dictionary “ Ok kiddin but that would have been funny.

Good luck to you in your business adventures I see your going far…

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
K , dad settle down.

Your last remark was not fair either. You don't know me and I don't know you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote attribution

Dagan, I think the point is that if you are showing us information from other sources, it is appropriate to include the link from where you got the information. If you are offering your own opinion, then obviously no attribution is necessary. The internet's a wonderful tool, but too many people pass off other people's knowledge and experience as their own. I think that's what MJW was reacting to. As well, if someone is quoting what is essentially advertising copy, the community of readers should be able to decide for themselves how much credibility they give that information. By giving the links, you allow this "background checking" to occur. There are some very experienced and well-informed individuals on this board, and I would take their advice at face value. Others have proven themselves to be opinionated but without much support in terms of facts or experience, and those we will discount or even skip over. Just because we may not know each other on the board, there is still interaction going on, and we still will form opinions based on this interaction.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
pgriz said:
Dagan, I think the point is that if you are showing us information from other sources, it is appropriate to include the link from where you got the information. If you are offering your own opinion, then obviously no attribution is necessary. The internet's a wonderful tool, but too many people pass off other people's knowledge and experience as their own. I think that's what MJW was reacting to. As well, if someone is quoting what is essentially advertising copy, the community of readers should be able to decide for themselves how much credibility they give that information. By giving the links, you allow this "background checking" to occur. There are some very experienced and well-informed individuals on this board, and I would take their advice at face value. Others have proven themselves to be opinionated but without much support in terms of facts or experience, and those we will discount or even skip over. Just because we may not know each other on the board, there is still interaction going on, and we still will form opinions based on this interaction.
Thank You, well said. I don't use so many words to get a point across, I thought it would be obvious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok anyway I had that Post saved in word format on my desktop along with about 30 other articles that I use as references for educating customers and so forth. I didn't have the link or name or number where the info came from because I took the info off the Internet and saved it. I didn’t add anyone’s name to it, I just wanted the info.
I had to actually find it and post it today so you could see it for yourselves. I have much more information if you would like to be better informed about Black ALGAE that is the real reason for my post in the first place. I posted a quick article that was very informative and might help a lot of folks out, and I get the critics thumbs up. I don’t get it oh well, I bet its because you see 10 posts and haven’t heard from me before, it understanding most people do that to everyone that’s new to this bb. I think I would take what I posted as good info and move on. I will take the plagiarism remark to heart when I finish my Masters.

Thanks Dan

Anyone that would like to know a lot more about removing black algae or just some more info about it let me know but maybe not on the post (im) me and maybe we can discuss it over the phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Metal roofs have no Food...

red_cedar said:

We all can see the black algae stains on many asphalt shingles. Is this problem being seen with stone coated steel roofing at all.
I suppose the southern panhandle, florida roofers would know better than anyone.

Thanks

Red
The key to avoiding aglae stains is not having limestone as an ingredient in the roofing. Depending on the type of "Stone Coated Steel" the cyanobacteria could setup a city. If the 'stone coat' is more along the lines of a painted surface finish, you should have no issue.

If the roof does pick up the algae growth, Roof OX and Roof QSE are products that can be used to remove it.

No one in the South East is immune to this bacteria, as it is Bird, Squirrel and even wind spread.

We have seen MANY more metal roofs in the last 10 years as a response to the black stains and early roof replacements.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Dagan Exteriors said:
Ok anyway I had that Post saved in word format on my desktop along with about 30 other articles that I use as references for educating customers and so forth. I didn't have the link or name or number where the info came from because I took the info off the Internet and saved it. I didn’t add anyone’s name to it, I just wanted the info.

I do the same thing....your not selling the information.... only sharing it to help others. Thank you for the added information I will save it also.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to actually find it and post it today so you could see it for yourselves. I have much more information if you would like to be better informed about Black ALGAE that is the real reason for my post in the first place. I posted a quick article that was very informative and might help a lot of folks out, and I get the critics thumbs up. I don’t get it oh well, I bet its because you see 10 posts and haven’t heard from me before, it understanding most people do that to everyone that’s new to this bb. I think I would take what I posted as good info and move on. I will take the plagiarism remark to heart when I finish my Masters.

Thanks Dan

Anyone that would like to know a lot more about removing black algae or just some more info about it let me know but maybe not on the post (im) me and maybe we can discuss it over the phone.
Dan,

I have tried to Im you but could not. I would like more info on the algae issue. Please try to IM me or give me another way to get in touch with you, Thank you.

·
Peon
131 Posts

Thanks

Red
The guy I talked with about the Gerard stone coated roofs says it is not a problem with their roofing. He said the materials provide no food for the algae. Don't know that's true, but that's his claim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The guy I talked with about the Gerard stone coated roofs says it is not a problem with their roofing. He said the materials provide no food for the algae. Don't know that's true, but that's his claim.
I have a terracotta Gerard roof in my on area that has algae stains. I do not know how long it has been installed though.

·
Tampa
114 Posts
LOL, I have seen Algae grow on glass windows and aluminum screens, and there is no limestone there. It grows like crazy, and even faster on Tile Roofs then "Limestone Shingle Roofs".
So much for that theory, EH ?
And, it grows like crazy on bare metal roofs, as well as stone coated steel roofs too. You can learn more about Roof Cleaning at the Roof Cleaning Institute.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts