Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this cold weather my airlines keep freezing. I run a 5hp Gas compressor
with 3/8 airline with the big ends. I also use the anifreeze airtool oil.
Next I may try 1/2" line with plumbing insulation to keep the lines off the ground. I would try to run antifreeze through the lines but I am afraid of doing damage to my airnailers.
Does anyone else have any other sugesstions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
gixergeo said:
In this cold weather my airlines keep freezing. I run a 5hp Gas compressor
with 3/8 airline with the big ends. I also use the anifreeze airtool oil.
Next I may try 1/2" line with plumbing insulation to keep the lines off the ground. I would try to run antifreeze through the lines but I am afraid of doing damage to my airnailers.
Does anyone else have any other sugesstions?
I thought I read somewhere they have some antifreeze stuff just for this application. Did you search the net?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
gix, What you need is a self draining water seperator right next to the compressor. You need one with a coalesing filter. The compressed air should be warm enough to keep the mechanism from freezing when in use and the bowl should be removed and stored upside down in a warm/dry place when not in use. You can find these at truck brake repair stations, look for Wilkerson, Bendix or SMC brands. Let me know if you have problems and I will dig up the part #s, I may still stock some.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Teetor, good advice.

I'm surprised though, I figured you'd just tell him that you don't have that problem in FL and that he wouldn't if he lived there either!!! :D

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Deck's, I've designed pneumatic systems for nearly 20 yrs. (ck profile, fluid dynamics).
I love jabbin' you northerners but that doesn't mean that I'm not empethetic, I've been up there. Last time was for the Buffalo storm around the mid 90's, put down in Rochester for a short time and were the last flight into Buffalo for days. As I remember it was 37" and they closed the mall for the first time since '77. Just my luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts